Dropping Transmission Pan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChazMan

Reaction score
Do you really have to remove the gear selector cable bracket to drop the trans pan?
I looked up and it looks like the pan could slide forward and clear the bracket, but I am not sure I've never done on this truck. If you've done one, please let me know. Thanks.

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
Do you really have to remove the gear selector cable bracket to drop the trans pan?
I looked up and it looks like the pan could slide forward and clear the bracket, but I am not sure I've never done on this truck. If you've done one, please let me know. Thanks.

It will not slide past but you can "gently" move the bracket with a pry bar or long screwdriver enough to clear the pan. I always just drop it and get as much fluid out as possible since it is a PITA and takes some maneuvering to get it out and the fluid will slosh around.....

It can be done fore sure I do it all the time it can just be a little messy......

OP
OP
ChazMan

ChazMan

Reaction score
Yes, that's what I was thinking as well. Bending the bracket a bit would be a good idea. For less messy work, I was ablt to suck out the remaining fluid in the pan using a pump once all the bolts are removed and the pan is halfway dropped and slanted forward a bit. Even after all the fluid is sucked out by the pump, I can stuff in some rags/papertowel in there and can almost completely wipe the insdie the pan dry... Removing the two allen bolts that holdking the cable bracket didn't go well for me, especially the front one. Whoever designed this was not thinking...

It will not slide past but you can "gently" move the bracket with a pry bar or long screwdriver enough to clear the pan. I always just drop it and get as much fluid out as possible since it is a PITA and takes some maneuvering to get it out and the fluid will slosh around.....

It can be done fore sure I do it all the time it can just be a little messy......

almightys

Reaction score
I took the bracket off, but to give me more room i dropped the front drive shaft. then I made sure to put a pan in with a drain bolt So I never have to go through that hell again LOL

amaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bracket is held in with 2 torx-socket bolts. Not very hard to remove - 3/8" ratchet with joint and short torx socket it's easy to do.

OP
OP
ChazMan

ChazMan

Reaction score
The bracket is held in with 2 torx-socket bolts. Not very hard to remove - 3/8" ratchet with joint and short torx socket it's easy to do.

I was never able to remove the either bolt. The rear one was easy to reach but it was so tight and I stripped the bolt head:emotions122:
And I couldn't even place the socket on the the front one, too many other things around it.

almightys

Reaction score
I was never able to remove the either bolt. The rear one was easy to reach but it was so tight and I stripped the bolt head:emotions122:
And I couldn't even place the socket on the the front one, too many other things around it.

that is why I dropped the front driveshaft. it was hard to get my bear paws up in there

03YukonNH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did my transmission service today. What a b*tch. I will never do that again. There is a 15 mm bolt to drain the fluid but there was no budging it. I ended up prying the bracket out of the way. Just be ready for a three to fo ur hour plus job

dsump

Reaction score
I took the bracket off, but to give me more room i dropped the front drive shaft. then I made sure to put a pan in with a drain bolt So I never have to go through that hell again LOL

This is how I did it.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine, I just loosened the bolts to move the bracket over enough so the pan would clear. I knew if I completely removed them I would never be able to get them back in without seeing them. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts