Engine Noise trouble. Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoodmanOX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several months ago I had some warranty work done at the dealership to fix a rear main seal leak. As part of the service, they replaced the oil, except with dinosaur instead of the Mobil 1 - 10w-30 that I have been using since 60,000 (120,000 currently on the truck). Immediately after I picked it up I noticed a severe ticking sound coming from the motor. Took it back and they spent a week trying to figure it out, ultimately saying that they could tear it down but if they didn't find anything, I would have to pay for it instead of the warranty company, so I told them no.

I've managed to get the noise to stop by using Mobil 1 20w-50 synthetic, and if I use anything lighter on the highway the noise comes back, almost like a diesel. I've also used Risolin with several oil changes and still no luck unless I put the 20w-50 in it.

Any ideas what it could be?

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the dinosaur oil was probably less lubricated? just keep using mobil 1 and youll be fine

OP
OP
G

GoodmanOX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i'd like to be able to go back to 10w-30. After thinking about it more, my truck doesn't have lifters, right? It has pushrods?

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
it has both....cam will always have lifters. Some are hydraulic, some are roller, some are solid.

99Yukon_Z71

Crazy Puerto Rican
Reaction score
My truck does this lifter ticking when I havent used it for awhile. I use Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic and a bottle of Super Synthetic Lucas additive. It has stopped my lifter ticking ever since!!!! Try it out!
And lifters come hydraulic flat tappet(TBI motors), hydraulic roller (found in 96 and UP Vortec engines) and solid lifters found in older engines.

rican4lfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the same tapping sound form the left side of the engine..... like comming from in front of the driver..... using valvoline 10-30 syn power with lucas still there should I go thicker or try other oil brands?????? Mobil keeps popping up as the most popular.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate