Escalade dies after driving a while and comes to a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My mechanic did this and it was around that but it wasnt trying to go dead. Is there one that's really really long so I can see it while driving
the kit should come with a hose long enough to reach under the hood and face the window, check harbor freight

davidavidd

Reaction score
Something similar happened to me recently, check out my post:

Conclusion: Bad fuel pump and carbon pellets all over the lines. Replacing the pump without flushing the tank and lines is a waste of money.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
What @davidavidd said above. Dealerships love customers that come in for this problem. They immediately see the carbon pellet canister is spitting out pellets and sink about 3-4 hours of unneeded diagnostic time into it.

Then the dealer charges the customer for a new fuel pump, evap purge valve + update harness, PCV valve and some kind of “computer update”. All in all a dealer visit would be 2.5-$3k

OP
OP
E

escalade 3rd gen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
there is a schrader valve connector on the passenger side fuel rail (remove the plastic engine beauty cover and you will see it, should have a black plastic cap on it like a tire valve), you can connect it (like a screw on air hose) and then kinda prop it up under the hood facing the window, pressure should be 50-55 or better key-on, engine-off. then after you start it a few seconds later it should drop to around 43-44 and hang around there while driving.
if you do this while the engine is hot you may see much higher psi with key off/engine off due to heat soak.
** put a rag around and/or wear glasses so gas doesn't spray all over and in your face
So u want me to put the thing on then turn on the truck all the way and drive it around and when I'm done take it off with a rag

OP
OP
E

escalade 3rd gen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Something similar happened to me recently, check out my post:

Conclusion: Bad fuel pump and carbon pellets all over the lines. Replacing the pump without flushing the tank and lines is a waste of money.
Would the sea foam stuff do this or do I have to go to a mechanic for it

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So u want me to put the thing on then turn on the truck all the way and drive it around and when I'm done take it off with a rag
yes and no the rag is only used when attaching the gauge and also when detaching the gauge (just to clarify)
the fuel is pressurized in the rail, so when you attach the gauge it "may" spray out, the rag is used to soak up any spillage, glasses are used to prevent any from possibly getting in your eyes which is no fun.
same if you are working under the truck, glasses help keep stuff from falling into your eyes which is also no fun

OP
OP
E

escalade 3rd gen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yes and no the rag is only used when attaching the gauge and also when detaching the gauge (just to clarify)
the fuel is pressurized in the rail, so when you attach the gauge it "may" spray out, the rag is used to soak up any spillage, glasses are used to prevent any from possibly getting in your eyes which is no fun.
same if you are working under the truck, glasses help keep stuff from falling into your eyes which is also no fun
Do u mean these 2 tube's

davidavidd

Reaction score
So u think the pellets are making it die

Is possible, the pellets get into the entire engine, I found them in the intake manifold, the purge valve, the injectors (fragments) and in the fuel/vapor lines.

In my case, the fuel pump took the brunt of it, additionally, if the purge valve is stuck, a vacuum leak is created that can cause other problems. As others have explained, a drop in fuel pressure can cause all sorts of problems, the computer detects this and immediately tries to compensate (via ignition timing) which in some cases results in the engine stalling.

In my truck the first symptom was an error in the crankshaft position sensor reading, I changed the sensor for a new one and it remained the same, it was only solved by cleaning all the engine and changing the fuel pump. Do you have a scanner to read the oxygen sensors and the percentage of alcohol in the gasoline?
How does it behave when you turn it back on? Does it start normally or do you notice something different?

OP
OP
E

escalade 3rd gen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is possible, the pellets get into the entire engine, I found them in the intake manifold, the purge valve, the injectors (fragments) and in the fuel/vapor lines.

In my case, the fuel pump took the brunt of it, additionally, if the purge valve is stuck, a vacuum leak is created that can cause other problems. As others have explained, a drop in fuel pressure can cause all sorts of problems, the computer detects this and immediately tries to compensate (via ignition timing) which in some cases results in the engine stalling.

In my truck the first symptom was an error in the crankshaft position sensor reading, I changed the sensor for a new one and it remained the same, it was only solved by cleaning all the engine and changing the fuel pump. Do you have a scanner to read the oxygen sensors and the percentage of alcohol in the gasoline?
How does it behave when you turn it back on? Does it start normally or do you notice something different?
It takes like 15 minutes to turn back on but it does this right after it dies

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoahib jabri