EXTREME Body Work???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be a ridiculous amount of fab work. Unless you have EXTENSIVE experience with either fiberglass molds or sheetmetal and welding you shouldn't even be thinking about this kind of modification. It will look beyond terrible and there is much easier and economical ways of getting additional lighting.

Basically this is one of those deals that if you have to ask the question, it probably isn't for you. And it's no knock on you, I couldn't do that either and I have some experience with fiberglass. You're basically making new body panels for your entire truck, top to bottom. That is absolutely pro level, high engineering, high technology work. I say leave it to the pros, just my opinion.

OP
OP
PR1NCEC10UD

PR1NCEC10UD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Kind of what I was thinking. I have some buddies who have a vacuum-form machine, a nut sert gun, and other parts. It also helps that they work in metal and bolt sales so I get metal at cost :p I've not done anything with carbon/kevlar yet, but I've read up on processes and everything. Besides... the pros had to start somewhere XD

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
Ive seen people bend 1/4 roll stock metal tubing, weld it on the body, somehow then filled inside of the "gap" with a foam. that hardened and was paint-able.. not sure what it was called and its hard to describe..

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still think you may be underestimating the amount of work, but in your drawing it appeared to have custom made front flares (in which you said u would mount 6" lights), hood, doors and rockers, rear fenders, and the top part of the cab had additional shaping (unless you didn't mean for it to).

In any event, I'm not here to stop you... post up your results when you're done.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the labor involved is tremendous i agree but it would be a one of a kind not only tahoe/yuk but vehicle would definitly turn heads anywhere it goes also think about accidents god forbid you have one but if a fender or door gets mangled you have to start all over on fab def should be a show truck only not a DD

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not even just labor though, it's the necessary skill involved. For instance, the flares are partially rounded and partially squared. How would you make that?

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
anyone good with bodywork can make shit happen. lol

Grandfather is so good at bodywork, he lost his ruby in his ring, decided wth, im going to do some bodywork to it and paint where the ruby was.. still holding up after an assload of years and abuse.

OP
OP
PR1NCEC10UD

PR1NCEC10UD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
To make the mold, I will be using foam blocks and basically sanding those, chiseling away until I make the positive molding. After I will make a reverse mold out of fiberglass then use the fiberglass molding to fill with carbon/kevlar and vacuum-form it until it dries. The actual process will be fun. When we finish this, I'm helping some friends and we are turning an '06 Tacoma into a District 9 vehicle. All in all I know it will be a lot of work and the good thing is that using Carbon/kevlar will be very sturdy allowing a lot of forgiveness. Unless I get t-***** it shouldn't affect it too much. BUT I am the one who has the molds, so won't be too hard to replace. Just fab up another panel.

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

Rocker Panels will not change and neither will the roof.... YET! :rocking: I appreciate the concern in the time, but when you have all winter and it's in the negative, gotta have something fun to do while your throwing back some brews inside. right? I just blew upper intake gasket yesterday though so this weekend I gotta fix that, then I will be starting this project. I will provide details and walkthroughs if you guys want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968