Fender flares / lower body paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from using the herculiner gallon previously, i don't think a quart will cover the rockers, flares, and bumpers. if you have to buy 2 quarts you might as well just get the gallon kit.

Supposedly, the larger kit will do a 4x8 longbed.

Two bed sides, approximately 1.5ft x 8ft = 12sq ft (x2), figure 25sq ft
Front and tailgate, 1.5 x 5ft = 7.5sq ft (x2) = 15 sq ft
Bed floor - (4' wide floor, plus in front and back of wheelhumps)
5ft x 8ft = 40sq ft

Looks like it will cover 80sq ft for the kit pretty easily, probably closer to 90sq ft if it isn't put on TOO heavy.

How long are the rockers on our Tahoes? maybe 10 feet, total?
And how high? 1.5ft? That includes all the way under to the body pinch line.
So we're talking about 15sq ft on both sides, 30 sq ft total.
Add in the area of the fender flares, figure a safe 3sq ft for each = 12 sq ft.

Looking about 45 sq ft to do the rockers and flares, give or take. One of the larger kits would be just about enough to do two coats.

If I two-tone my entire truck, I'm probably going to get two green kits, should easily cover the entire thing with one coat (plus), then a black kit just for extra coats on the rockers and flares.

Last edited:

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you guys do the barn doors like that too?

shouldn't have to do any of the barn doors or tailgate since they sit just above the lower body line. unless you just wanted to do that little indent at the bottom. (wouldn't be worth the taping and prep in my opinion)

OP
OP
A

arveetek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the present, I'm not planning on doing anything on the tailgate. I'll just wrap around the bottom of the rear rockers and then stop.

I'm researching different brands of DIY bedliner materials now. Some say Herculiner isn't the best. Some suggest U-Pol Raptor Liner.

I'll have to wait for the weather to improve a bit too. Right now we're having an artic blast outside with snow and single digit temps! I have a shop building, but it needs to be warmer and dryer than this.

Hopefully I can get this tackled in the next couple of weeks.

Casey

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've come across a couple OOBS pick-ups that were DIY black... the whole truck... can't say i would do it but it didn't look 'horrible' just really interesting.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Just corious has anybody seen the whole body done like that?

More than likely, I'll be doing the entire body come Spring.
I don't want to have to worry about redoing the entire body, getting it absolutely perfect and straight, and putting a smooth-as-glass paintjob on it, only to scratch it within a couple days.

My Tahoe is used for work, I constantly have 100-300lbs of tools in the back, and I carry sheetrock and plywood all the time. I carry two or three long extension ladders on top, along with a heavy aluminum siding brake at times. I use it, abuse it, and it's still there, begging for more.

I got an e-mail back from Grizzly, they said one gallon of mixed product covers 50 sq ft with two medium coats. As a long bed kit contains one gallon of product, 3 quarts of the Grizzly material and a bottle of the UV stabilizer, the long bed kit will supposedly cover about 90 sq ft with two medium coats.

Approximate measurements are about 160-165 sq ft for all the body panels (hood and roof included), so 2 long bed kits should be more than enough for full coverage, even if someone wanted to do the bumpers and grill too.

If I do it, I'm going to use three kits, two of the Emerald Green for the primary body color, and then one kit of Black for the rocker panels, fender flares and rollpan. I know it's going to have a minimum of 3 coats on everything....

OP
OP
A

arveetek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards Herculiner. I can buy it wholesale through my work. The complete bed kit in black with rollers, UV protectant and everything is well under $100.

I've checked locally with spray-in liner shops. Looks like it would cost anywhere from $500 to $900 to have a professional liner sprayed on the rockers! Ouch!

Casey

OP
OP
A

arveetek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more I keep researching, it seems that Herculiner doesn't have the best reputation. I don't want to put a product on that I won't be happy with. There a lot of guys who have done it on various trucks, and are happy. There are also a ton of guys who have done it and don't like it.

Even though Herculiner says their product will adhere to plastic, I'm starting to think that the Bushwacker flares would flex too much and pop the liner right off...

A trusted source has recommended this product instead:

http://www.semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=143

You can get it an aerosol can and spray it on. It doesn't have near the rough texture that Herculiner does. I have found a few who have done it, and they like it pretty well.

Here's a pic of a bumper coated in Sem Chip Guard:

2634177040042310107S600x600Q85.jpg

I might be able to spray the rockers with the Chip Guard and just leave the flares alone.

Casey

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

Here's another pic of Sem Chip Guard; this one is on the rocker panels of a Dodge pickup:

DSCF4904.jpg

Casey

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that second picture is what i had invisioned texture wise for my rockers. how thick is that chip guard? may be a better option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus