Few issues w/ a Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gd2227

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just bought an OLD STYLE 2000 Yukon Denali. Quite a few issues to sort out with most of them found/ fixed using the search feature (thanks TYF!!!). However, I have 1 MAJOR brake issue.
1. The brake light is ON. Not the ABS light... I know there is a VERY specific spec that the shoe to drum distance must be in...
2. The PS rear brake locks up with the sligtest of pressure. The shoes are new so I suspect it's to 'tight'. However, the DS drum brake shoe doesn't touch the drum- even though it is tight getting the drum on. Yes, the wheel cylinder works.
---so, if the truck has 4 wheel ABS, why is the drum locking up?
3. The emergency/parking brake works GREAT. However, it engages almost immediately when you put your foot on it. Again, I would attribute ths to the PS drum to shoe spec being to tight.

I think that's the big one... I have the heated seat issue, heater issue (blend door actuator), etc, etc...

Thanks again and Merry Christmas/ happy holidays!!!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Perhaps the locking one is contaminated wth brake fluid leaking from the cylinder which would create a pressure differential thereby setting off the warning light. Tho a grounded parking brake switch circuit cold light the bulb to however if you get the brake warning light and your drl system continues to run your headlights on then you have a pressure differential problem.

OP
OP
G

gd2227

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Perhaps the locking one is contaminated wth brake fluid leaking from the cylinder which would create a pressure differential thereby setting off the warning light. Tho a grounded parking brake switch circuit cold light the bulb to however if you get the brake warning light and your drl system continues to run your headlights on then you have a pressure differential problem.

The parking light ground makes sense... When I start the truck after setting the parking brake, the light is on (as it should be). I then release the P brake, the light is off. I then back up = no light. As soon as I put it in 'drive' and accelerate, the light comes on IMMEDIATELY...
Location of the P-brake ground?
I bought new drums for it as well as new pads.. Didn't see any fuid leaking last time I replaced the shoes..Push comes to shove, I'll rebuilt the whole rear drum assembly... :Rant:

Thanks!

OP
OP
G

gd2227

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On the parking brake. But did you notice when the light came on if your drl system went out or did they stay on?

DRL has always stayed on. One issue is the parking brake cable was getting hung up on that side... So, will replace that and report back..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgy