Finally! Keys, Tires & Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike! Yeah, I'm liking the combo I went with. You don't understand how long it took me to decide on this combo. Which is partly why I've been MIA. I stumbled upon the z71 forum and started reading up on keys and spacers. Did my research for a while before pulling the trigger and getting all the necessary accessories to do it. But I haven't forgotten about the HID retrofit. I'm ready to seat the projectors into the housing, and I was getting some good, last minute advice from 05-Z71Tahoe on the best method to do it. Now with the rains coming, it might be a good time to get back to it and finish up.

I like your choice. I know what you mean about making sure you want the combo, like it. Im waiting for a good deal to come. Ready for a change, but has to really catch my eye and be a good one. Ive been on that forum also, off and on. Lots of good info in there also, even though im not 4x4. For the retro fit, yeah ive been seeing it on the forums on i think its hidretrofit or something. I saw his and yours, looks really good. Im going to try to do it to my halos and see what i can do. But im thinking of doing it for the lows projectors and for the highs. Kind of like the older infinti j30's i think it is. Seen one at work today along w/ a 3000GT and wondered. But the projectors on the 3000 look to big to try to put in.

Good luck on them, keep us informed on those and trucks looking good.

dman710

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What keys?

What keys did you use? I have an '05 Denali and I want to get keys for the front rather than messing with the torsion bar. Thanks.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
THANKS FELLAS FOR THE COMPLIMENTS!!

Thanks Scott. After I install the shocks and rear spacers, it'll be back to the good'ol HID retrofit! :headbang:

What HID retrofit?

I kid....lol. It's been on the shelf for a while, though.

I got most of the parts for the reverse HID/halogen hi/low conversion and have been sitting on it for a while now. It's been too cold to spend a day outside wiring everything. And I also dealt with my own tire issues....lol. Went back and forth between 3 sets and finally went with the Coopers mainly due to local availability. Ordering tires on-line and shipping them here is often more expensive than just getting what you can find in town. One of the downsides to living 3000 miles from the rest of the states.

That setup really does make your truck look totally different and much nicer, though. Good choice on wheels to complement it all, too.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Not trying to jack your thread, Oliver. This is just for you so you can see the tires on with the keys turned all the way up. Not nearly as mean looking as your rig, but still got quite a bit of lift out of the keys. Nothing but stock suspension in front and air shocks in back:

ab92f8c7.gif

I should note that the parking lot is not perfectly level...nose was higher than the back, plus I think I had my camera a little crooked too, so the front end looks higher than it is. The truck itself rides almost perfectly level (look at the running boards compared to the ground...they are basically parallel). I now have one of the highest Denalis around...most people go lower if anything at all.

And yes, I already blew a center cap off somewhere....lol.

Last edited:

Sickblutahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey dman the keys you wanna use are ford f150 keys 96-98 expedition keys are the same also. The cheapest way to get these keys is from a salvage yard I got a set for my buddy for $35 bucks. Please dont crank you stock keys thats the ghetto way of doing it you'll also get a really crappy ride if you do it that way.

OP
OP
polobuds

polobuds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What keys did you use? I have an '05 Denali and I want to get keys for the front rather than messing with the torsion bar. Thanks.

I bought my keys from a member on the z71tahoe-suburban forum. $70 shipped. I called a local Ford dealer and they were selling keys for about $60 each.

Only pic I could find of the keys I installed:

IMG_4051.jpg

PM me if you want the member's name. I bought them about 2 months ago, so I don't know if he has more or can get more.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

I like it. Looks tankish

Yep. My boss said it looked military. I don't mind that either.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Not trying to jack your thread, Oliver. This is just for you so you can see the tires on with the keys turned all the way up. Not nearly as mean looking as your rig, but still got quite a bit of lift out of the keys. Nothing but stock suspension in front and air shocks in back:

ab92f8c7.gif

I should note that the parking lot is not perfectly level...nose was higher than the back, plus I think I had my camera a little crooked too, so the front end looks higher than it is. The truck itself rides almost perfectly level (look at the running boards compared to the ground...they are basically parallel). I now have one of the highest Denalis around...most people go lower if anything at all.

And yes, I already blew a center cap off somewhere....lol.

Yeah, yeah, you and Mike know better than anyone else how long I've had the retrofit on the shelf. I think I started that back in October? Needless to say, I got sidetracked and took care of the suspension mod first. I'll be getting back to that, I swear. Just have little motivation with such rainy weather.

No worries Scott. We're all on here to share our rides. Like I said, I really do like the Coopers, they just didnt look "beefy" enough for me. But they are def good looking tires, and I like the rims too. I'm missing a center cap on the same wheel! Must be the trend, like pulling one pant leg up :manos:

From that view, I can tell the difference with you cranking the keys. Just couldn't tell from the view you had in your other post. Mine has the gangsta lean right now. Still sitting on stock shocks, but going to install the front bils this weekend, and hopefully have a shop do the rear and swap out the coils for z71 coils. People have said the coils are easy to do, but I just dont want to mess with them without a spring compressor. And besides, I still need an alignment and the shop will do the rear work and the alignment.

Hard to believe people in Alaska would lower than truck rather than lift it. I would think the higher the better with the snow and rugged terrain.

Lookin good!

Last edited:

dman710

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey sickblutahoe, what are the years for the F-150 keys? I think I may have a friend with some but I just wanted to make sure before I snagged them. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andraliahlee