Fix and Keep My 2015 GMC Yukon SLT or Get Rid of It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BringTheNoise

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a 2015 Yukon XL SLT with 206k miles last week because I’ve been wanting to buy a cheap suv and this came in on trade at the dealership I work for last Saturday. I thought about it for a while and asked my boss if I could buy it for anywhere near what we paid on trade in. He sold it to me for $9000. Before I bought it I just paid one of our techs whose wife had same car and he Put it on a lift and said I’d need to buy shocks and struts for sure and should change spark plugs, oil, and flush all the fluids. It has the 22” wheels with brand new Michelin tires they just bought a couple months ago. He said the brakes were pretty new in front and rear. It wasn’t filthy but definitely looked like it had been driven a lot. I spent $1000 on detailing it, refinishing the wheels, matching front window tint, and fixing the tear in the seat and wear on console. It looks like a $30,000 to $40,000 truck. We have a 2020 with 89k mikes and is $40,980 and I think mines cosmetically in better shape.

Tonight I drove it home for the third time and was parking it and I was hitting the brakes a lot as I wanted to make sure I didn’t hit the mailbox as I’m not used to driving a 226” SUV. The Hill Assist light kept popping up and I hit the brake pedal pretty firmly and it depressed halfway. I know that can’t be good. Right now I have about 10k plus tax in it. I imagine shocks and struts installed will be at least $1200 to $1500 if I do a reputable brand. I was going to get the Billstein 5100 as I was told those are good but I don’t know anything about Shocks and struts to be honest the guy that checked it out won’t do any “side” work as he has a family and doesn’t want to spend anymore time at work then necessary (Can’t Blame him) so my choices are have a guy that’s worked in my BMWs and Infiniti work on it or take it to the dealer. So I was planning on having about $12000 in this truck.

However I know that won’t be the case with the new brake pedal issue. I’m worried I’m about to go down a rabbit hole I can’t afford to reAlly go down. I have a perfectly god running car and more or less bought this to appease my son as he wanted me to get something that didn’t look so dated (other car is 2006 Infiniti M35x) so I thought this would be a good solution as it looked pretty newish.

My questions are:

1. Any Idea About Brake Pedal being halfway depressed. (It didn’t appear to be leaking anything on the ground). I popped the hood and checked brake fluid reservoir and it was full.
2. Is It Worth taking it to the GMC dealership for repairs?
3. Is this just a bad idea spending money on fixing up a 200k mile 2015 GMC Yukon XL? Is this car well past its life span and not worth dumping money into it? I’ll be at 12k+ in the car with struts, shocks, spark plugs, fluids, and I’m assuming doing the spongy brake pedal could be an expensive fix.

I am worried this thing will be unGodly expensive to keep running. Anyone with experience on 200k plus ownership of a 2015 body style with 5.3?

I’ve attached some photos. It’s a good looking car but I don’t know if this is a good idea.

Attachments

• C86ED84E-2869-4E8A-8737-C5CC123A194A.jpeg
    C86ED84E-2869-4E8A-8737-C5CC123A194A.jpeg
    531.8 KB · Views: 2
  • FB0E6F58-6D1A-47D5-A677-CA7AA43BEC23.jpeg
    FB0E6F58-6D1A-47D5-A677-CA7AA43BEC23.jpeg
    549.3 KB · Views: 2
  • C1FF34C0-FEE5-4915-AA1F-8B2DD8575BCF.jpeg
    C1FF34C0-FEE5-4915-AA1F-8B2DD8575BCF.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 2
  • C7AD4E71-FEDD-47B2-87DB-DC26E906C5DE.jpeg
    C7AD4E71-FEDD-47B2-87DB-DC26E906C5DE.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 2

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if there is no brake light and it stops then there is probably nothing wrong with the brakes, depending on how you were playing with the pedal and idle and vacuum it could do a variety of things.

RoadTrip

Reaction score
Nice looking vehicle. Congratulations.

Check to make sure all the recalls were done on the vehicle. In early Yukons and siblings, there was a recall for the brake vacuum pump needing to be replaced.

Has the brake fluid been flushed? If so, it will be clear. Old brake fluid absorbs moisture and rust and the particles settle into the brake calipers and make them hang up, partially applying the brakes. Perhaps that’s why the PO had the brakes recently replaced? One or more of the calipers could be partially seized already and possibly contributing to your brake warning.

As a precaution of odd electrical problems popping up, replace the negative battery cable as it is known to corrode from the inside near the terminal with no external hint of the condition.

Your maintenance list was good. A few more things to go like cabin air filter. Have your mechanic check the front wheel bearings closely for noise or play. Bad bearings can trigger stability and abs alerts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wvdg