For those who carry. Where do you carry/holster gun in your ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VTburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple thoughts: 1. I would not suggest that holster, for all the reasons you mentioned, plus consider this...try cross-drawing while your wife or girlfriend has their hand pressing against your forearm or elbow...it's impossible. It takes very little forward-moving strength to overpower the crossdraw motion, and basically incapacitate the user. 2. In my youth I cut a slot next to my right knee in the center console of my Jeep Cherokee, and slipped a left-handed IWB clip holster in there...cheap and tacky looking, but it was highly effective. I think a more sophisticated version of this would be a good possibility. 3. For travel comfort, althought it is a cross draw, nothing beats a good shoulder rig. Long trips are no problem because the weight of the pistol is pushed into the seatback, taking the weight off your shoulders...same with your anchor weights (extra mags, flashlight, etc). Hope this helps, good thoughts from all.

doubletap1911

Reaction score
I mounted a "lefty" Roto-holster in my S-10 blazer on my center console just next to my right knee. I haven't put one in the Tahoe yet, but I think it would be an even more natural fit in a full-size.

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
I also have a Roto-Holster mounted on the bottom of the dash under the steering column . works great its made by FOBUS I used to have it mounted to the side of the center console but My Wife and I are Both South pawls I am a LEO and need no Permit to Carry and My Wife has her CHL. We are in the Greatest State in the Nation TEXAS!!!! also I carry IWB ( Small of Back) or open with shield on belt. She Carries a 380 IWB and a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Carry Purse. its Pretty Clean Honestly I can Send a Pic Mail of the Roto if You PM Me Your Cell or Email.

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A shoulder rig is a good idea, I have been pondering on getting one for a while, I guess I should add it to the order.

I'm glad some gun talk has made it this way. I just ordered more 308 brass for the hide out downstairs.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Please help me understand why you guys feel you can't carry at 3:00 while driving. I'm 6'1 and 325#s (and shrinking), and my insurance policy of choice is a Glock 21C. I carry concealed on my right hip at all times. My holster of choice is handmade leather. I happen to have a really good store that does just that right by my house. The one I use I got from him. It sits pretty low to. The only adjustment I have to make when I get in my truck is a slight adjustment of the handle angle. Other than that, it doesn't move.

I'm a Utah resident (only state you can legally carry in a school), and I live in Virginia. I have a Virginia nonresident CWP. On occasion I venture into North Carolina. In North Carolina you can't mount a gun in the car. They consider the car to be separate from you and that the car doesn't have a CWP. Only you do. This has left me no option, but the keep it IWB when I get in the car. I don't see the problem though. I can undo the seatbelt and reach for my gun in one swift action. Additionally, imo, although you may be drawing for defensive purposes, the act of drawing your weapon is when you switch to offense. I'd want to be mobile when I draw. Doing so would keep you alive longer should SHTF. Sorry, that's the Marine Infantryman in me. It's one thing to have your car shot up. It's a completely different thing to have your vehicle shot up while you are in it. Mobility is your friend. Additionally, as is the case in Virginia, the moment you present your gun you better draw and shoot. Failure to do so makes you guilty of brandishing. So, you might as well make that shot count for something.

Unfortunately, I'm moving to Illinois on July for the next 3 years. Wish me luck.

OP
OP
WHITEOUT

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
I'll pm you Z-56 Hoe. interested to see ur fobus setup, n can pick those holsters up cheap. I think Texas is even more gun friendly then AA right? Ur a LEO? No!!! Would have never guessed by looking at ur ride. Jk, ride is clean man. If I did my rig all over again, wuld do something like yours. Love that mean, low, tank, get outta my way look!! Really like it. Also, much respect for what u do!! REAL. got alot of buddies that r LEOs, n is crazy out there nowadays. Much Respect :hands: Makes it easy to open carry when u got that shield sitting next to gun. lol, need to get me one if AZ wasnt in hiring freeze till like 2015!! My buddy has the Kimber UC II as well and turned me onto it. Sweet little minis. I was going to get one instead of my XD for carry, just couldn't see myself beating up such a pretty gun! Beautiful pieces.
Ya, kinda amazed more gun talk hasn't been brought up before, or at least I haven't seen it. Shoulder rigs r nice, but might as well just open carry since I don't wear button up shirts. They r comfortable tho, and easy to draw when seated. I use one when I ride my motorcycles sometimes, easy, safe, hold well, comfy n doesn't get in way.

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:09 PM ----------

Please help me understand why you guys feel you can't carry at 3:00 while driving. I'm 6'1 and 325#s (and shrinking), and my insurance policy of choice is a Glock 21C. I carry concealed on my right hip at all times. My holster of choice is handmade leather. I happen to have a really good store that does just that right by my house. The one I use I got from him. It sits pretty low to. The only adjustment I have to make when I get in my truck is a slight adjustment of the handle angle. Other than that, it doesn't move.

I'm a Utah resident (only state you can legally carry in a school), and I live in Virginia. I have a Virginia nonresident CWP. On occasion I venture into North Carolina. In North Carolina you can't mount a gun in the car. They consider the car to be separate from you and that the car doesn't have a CWP. Only you do. This has left me no option, but the keep it IWB when I get in the car. I don't see the problem though. I can undo the seatbelt and reach for my gun in one swift action. Additionally, imo, although you may be drawing for defensive purposes, the act of drawing your weapon is when you switch to offense. I'd want to be mobile when I draw. Doing so would keep you alive longer should SHTF. Sorry, that's the Marine Infantryman in me. It's one thing to have your car shot up. It's a completely different thing to have your vehicle shot up while you are in it. Mobility is your friend. Additionally, as is the case in Virginia, the moment you present your gun you better draw and shoot. Failure to do so makes you guilty of brandishing. So, you might as well make that shot count for something.

Unfortunately, I'm moving to Illinois on July for the next 3 years. Wish me luck.

I am much skinnier at 6'1" 175#, so carrying at 3 digs into my skinny as@ hip bones. lol. but like everyone less, I usually always keep gun IWB at all times when driving. But for long trips, just not worth doing, and often have to remove to go into certain buildings and places. So just trying to find a good, secure, safe, and easily accessible place to holster weapon into/onto car while in it. But fully agree just keep it on you. Guns are comfortingly, not comfortable. I know, said before. lol.

But Domin8 i'm going to have to respectfully disagree with some statements made, so don't take anything against you, and just my opinion.
To say every time you pull your gun, even for defensive purpose, makes you an offensive person, I just don't agree with fully. as a civilian. If i'm put into a defensive situation where the BG is being the aggressor and offensively coming at me, causing me to defensively pull my weapon, doesn't necessarily make me the offensive one. I do understand what your saying tho. By me pulling my weapon, even under a defensive situation, puts me into an offensive position by having a gun ready. But think that would only be the case if I wanted to use it. and kinda goes to second statement as well. I hope just cause you pull your weapon, it doesn't automatically make you want to offensively use it. Many cases where a gun is pulled, defensively, and never used and the person didn't get charges with, defensively protecting themselves even tho no shot was fired. But do understand what your trying to say I think. Don't pull your weapon unless you plan on using it!!
And I do know this from personal experience. I have unfortunately been put into a situation in the past where a friend pulled a weapon(kind of in warranted which made me draw my weapon when friend let guys get to close and almost take his weapon) and couldnt/wouldn't use it . I won't get into entire story now. But forced me into a situation where I felt my friend n my lives were in danger. But I have had to use my weapon for self defense, against two people who wouldn't stop aggressively coming at me, and put me into a defensive position to pull and use my gun against them. But even after my gun was drawn, I always felt and was defending myself and my friends against an offense Coming at me. At no time did I want to use my weapon, and be on the offensive side, nor did I ever feel like I had the offensive position by having my gun drawn. I didn't know what weapons they had, one guy holding my buddies holster behind him not willing to show after multiple times warning him. I always felt, even with my gun drawn down on them, that I was in a defensive mode, and hoped I didn't have to pull the trigger. Unfortunately I did, but it was ruled a defensive shooting by Police n DA. But at no time did I truelly feel like I had the upper hand, or wanted or had to use my gun just because I had it drawn. I tried everything in my power to not have to defensively use my weapon against them. Which is why I feel that even tho I was defending myself, I didn't get the upper hand, or offensive side by having a gun on them. Hope that all makes sense.

The only reason I bring this up, cause I never felt nor feel like I had or was on the offensive side when I pulled and used my gun. Nor by pulling my gun, did I feel like I HAD to use my weapon. It was my last resort, and I didn't feel obligated to use my gun, just because it was drawn. and was truelly the last thing I wanted to do.

Again, don't take offense or disrespect towards you by me sayin my opinion regarding the statements. Just giving a side/perspective from someone who has been forced into a defensive situation and had to pull and use his weapon.

Like M3PO said: thanks for your service to this country, and protecting our freedoms one of which were talking about now. THANKS

Last edited:

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
LMFAO!!! Kinda like AZ then. Sometimes u wonder if they hand guns out at DMV for anyone over 18!!
How do you like your crossbreed super tuck? Everyone raves about them. They can be alittle pricey, but when ur willing to spend $500 + for a gun, it should be in a good holster. IMO. no reason to skimp on the thing that protects the gun. I spent over $50 on my all kydex holster getting it made for me tho so... I have never actually worn one, so can't say. But is it hard to put on and remove? I wear my gun everyday, about all day, but have the occasions thru out day where I need to remove, like getting my kid from school n certain building were no guns allowed. The one thing I like about current holder, very easy to put on n remove. Also what position do u carry ur crossbreed at? I preferably like 2 o'clock, but have found 3:30-4:30 (depending on if sitting or not) the most comfortable, concealable n easiest to access for me with my all kydex holster. but 2 o'clock is uncomfortable when sitting down especially in car. And don't feel I culd access properly when seated in vehicle. Alot of people I have talked to with crossbreed super tucks like to carry at 2 o'clock n say it's comfortable even when seated. ur thoughts?

I love the Crossbreed for walking around all day purposes. It's very comfortable, and the leather form-fits to you after a few days of wearing it. It isn't very friendly for easy removal/refitting, though, which is really my only complaint. It's big, which is why it's so comfortable, lots of surface area to spread weight out, but with two clips it's just not easy to take on and off, especially discretely. I basically have to undo my pants to put it on, which obviously has practical limits...lol.

We're a very gun-friendly state, and we don't even need permits to carry concealed, but there are certain limits and buildings you just can't go. Any government office, be it the DMV or FBI it doesn't matter...no guns. If I have to pick my kid up at school, no guns on the school grounds. So, just depending on what I'm doing that day decides which holster gets worn. My easy on/off holster is a basic Uncle Mike's sidekick. One clip, neoprene type pouch that slides on and off pretty easily and fits IWB well.

I'm 5'10 and between 165-180 depending on where I'm at in my workout regimen...lol...and I wear both holsters between 2:30-3:00 with a forward cant. The reason it gets uncomfortable for me when seated for a long time is the same as Whiteout's: the holster/end of barrel digs into my leg when I'm in that position. If I move the holster back it minimizes the discomfort but greatly increases grip printing, which kind of makes the whole "concealed" thing a moot point. I'm kind of skinny, so I don't have much girth to hide the gun behind, and I'm carrying a Kimber Pro Carry II which is a pretty good sized pistol.

SHWELL

Reaction score
Ima lefty, so I just carry as I always do. Parker IWB holster for my 1911 Champion. Feels fine in the Yukon, in my cars, not so much. Because of all the room in the yulon, I can carry and draw without any issues at all.

Just a nother note.. If I run into a situation where I cannot carry lawfully, I remove the front cupholder tray and holster the gun in there.. I mounted a Serpa under there so the gun is hidden in a spot where most wont think of looking.

DefendHawaii

Snake Eater
Reaction score
I carry a pelican box in the trunk and have a quick disconnect tie-down set up. The box is large enough for 2 primary weapons plus a few sidearms and my vest and range bag. Up front I have the bench seat and I been wanting to pull the middle seat and put a console in there and run a LEO center console set up. There is a 2003 Tahoe being parted out that was a PPV and has the console intact still. I want to get some sort of mount kit for long range weapons in the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52