fuel consumption way off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirJAG

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
on my new 2011 Tahoe LT my fuel consumption gauge reads 21.3g used, but it always takes almost 24g to fill it up...is that normal or should i have the dealer check it out?? my MPG is 17.1, but adding in that other 3gal. lowers it quite a bit...thoughts??

Last edited:

FMBL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have noticed on our 07 that it depends on the station you go to. Seems like some are way off and some are pretty accurate. Kind of makes me wonder if I'm getting ripped off by the pumps not being calibrated right.

Big Bad Allis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the DIC numbers are ever accurate. The system can't really measure it exactly. It's been that way with every vehicle I've driven. Buick Lucerne, GMC Sierra Duramax Diesel, Caddy Escalade, Caddy STS, GMC Acadia Denali, my new 2011 Yukon Denali and some GM loaner vehicles. Now at least you know it not your vehicle and there's nothing wrong.

AmazinglySmooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed on our 07 that it depends on the station you go to. Seems like some are way off and some are pretty accurate. Kind of makes me wonder if I'm getting ripped off by the pumps not being calibrated right.

Depending on the state, I heard years ago that pumps are calibrated for 5 gallons and 10 gallons. There was a station that was making their pumps cheat everyone except if they bought 5 or 10 gallons. So, if you want to be sure and get your money's worth, pump only 5 or 10 gallons.

They may have improved things a bit since that news story, but I doubt it.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SirJag,

Are you considering the approximate 3 gallons leeway for refuel? When the Low Fuel warning light comes on, you still have approximately 3 gallons of fuel available.

The EPA Fuel Economy on 2011 Tahoe vehicles is: 15mpg city / 21mpg highway / 17mpg combined using regular gasoline. Fuel economy can vary based on driving conditions, driving habits and regular vehicle maintenance.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968