Fuel leak - sending unit or retaining ring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dramaticpaws

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all! I have a 2011 Yukon Denali 1500 and I have a fuel leak from the gas tank. Please have a look at the video that I've linked to and let me know your thoughts as to whether I should be replacing the fuel pump module or just the retaining ring. Even if it's hard to tell from the video is it a common issue for these retaining rings to fail.
The vehicle does hesitate to start but if I turn the key over and let it set for a few seconds before turning it all the way over it will fire right up. Once on the road it operates normally just reeks of gas. Thanks in advance for any help. Sorry for the video quality/technique really needed a third hand.

Quick video while running

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I have a 2011 Yukon Denali 1500 and I have a fuel leak from the gas tank. Please have a look at the video that I've linked to and let me know your thoughts as to whether I should be replacing the fuel pump module or just the retaining ring. Even if it's hard to tell from the video is it a common issue for these retaining rings to fail.
The vehicle does hesitate to start but if I turn the key over and let it set for a few seconds before turning it all the way over it will fire right up. Once on the road it operates normally just reeks of gas. Thanks in advance for any help. Sorry for the video quality/technique really needed a third hand.

Quick video while running
Wow, that's good 'n rusty! The smart money is on replacing the fuel pump because the plate on top will rust out inside the ring. Also, the pumps start crapping out above 160K miles and have trouble maintaining steady pressure, followed by intermittent check engine lights, stabilitrak warnings, etc. Use ONLY an OEM pump, which will come with a new ring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PPV_2018