Fuel Pressure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidmnix

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a 2000 Tahoe 5.3, and about three months ago, I did the intake manifold gaskets. Now I'm having another cold start issue. It has similar symptoms, but this time, there's no surge. It starts up fine, but then hesitates badly upon acceleration, sometimes to the point of bogging down and cutting off. I replaced the fuel filter and put a fuel pressure gauge on it. The pressure never got above about 45psi. Everything I've read says 55 - 60. Is that a significant enough difference to blame the fuel pump? Any other thoughts? By the way, it's not throwing any codes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

davidmnix

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New thought... TPS ?? Today, it started doing the same thing about 3 miles after I left the house. I accelerated from a red light, and it started to accelerate, but then hesitated and would accelerate, then drop rpms suddenly. Got to work, but only on a limp. Struggled to get it up to 40mph

Is anybody out there ??

Last edited:

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my fuel pump was going out on my blazer, I had start up issues, but mine were that the truck wouldnt turn over the first try. It would start, stumble and die. I had to turn the key off and on 2 -3 times to get a good start. I also noticed it died 2 times while taking a turn. I had the fuel pressure tested and it was at low 40s. The mechanic told me it should be high 50s at worst. So I replaced and never had a problem again with it.

OP
OP
D

davidmnix

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the word

Thanks, Screwd. Sounds like the fuel pressure I have is low enough to go ahead and replace the pump. I ordered a new Delphi on RockAuto. $170 after shipping and a 5% discount code. Not sure if its the whole solution here, but if "low 40's" was causing you problems, I might as well go ahead and do it. I'll put the results on here later.

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely keep us updated.

I know the v6 I had had lots of problems with the spider injectors too...but I dont know if those are on these v8s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgy