Full exhaust!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Is it 2012 yet?
Reaction score
$468 and a 15 day avg wait to ship. Mine come on the 10th of may. You will have to specify with egr and you will pass inspection for sure. Also get your BB tune to take full advantage of what you're doing.

Last edited:

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really think running no cats and mufflers with 3 inch piping and headers with a tune will make you loose power?

I do. You gotta have a little bit of back pressure or else you will ruin things in the long run. Also 3 inch pipe on a stock engine is a little too big, I think all he has is a K&N air filter. 2" - 2.5" seems about right.

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our trucks don't run on back pressure. Only turbo-d cars run off of back pressure. (If I'm informed correctly)

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 inch single is OK on our trucks, 3 inch duals with no cats and no mufflers is :gayflag:

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our trucks don't run on back pressure. Only turbo-d cars run off of back pressure. (If I'm informed correctly)

You are correct by saying Turbo'd engines "run" on back pressure to spool the Turbocharger. However, Sufficient back pressure is still needed in a Naturally Aspirated engine. The 2.5 diameter piping is what is optimal for the small block engines that are stock or close to stock. With 3" and bigger you lose low end torque and efficiency. Maybe if he had a built motor and a supercharger he would need bigger than 2.5", but for most applications the 2.5" is fine.

kope

Reaction score

my last truck was turbo'ed and back pressure from exhaust is bad. thats why you see Cummins, PowerChokes, Duramax's with big exhaust piping so the turbo can flow as much exhaust through.
Engines do need a slight amount of Back pressure to operate efficiently, NA engines receive this BP from the exhaust system and Turbo'ed vehicles receive it from the turbo itself.

Back to topic,
I'd go with 2.5 piping and just do flanged fittings on the cats and after inspection install a test pipe in place of.

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
Yeah well when I do exhaust I'll be doing no cats with a test pipe in its place with no mufflers and 2.5" pipes. It'll be fine and I really don't see me losing power, I see me gaining power. Will see.

OP
OP
Saodrin

Saodrin

Reaction score
yeah i planned on having an exhaust shop do all the work since i dont have a welder or a pipe bender so should i just ask them to do flanges on the cats?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968