Gas backing up while fueling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

expredator

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've recently had this issue where the pump clicks ever quarter gallons and stops fueling. When I pull out the nozzle a little and pump, gas back up and shoots out. No codes whatsoever. On my research, it seemed that most folks get codes when the vent valve or charcoal canister went bad, but no codes for me. Any ideas as to what might be causing the issue? I have a spare tire underneath the car and don't want to go through the whole trouble taking it down and look at the individual components of the tank when there could be an easier fix.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check the function of the vent valve; they can be intermittent but it should be open with the engine not running (key off). If that's working properly then move on to the charcoal canister, which should be accessible without doing anything to the spare tire or the tank. When you remove the evap lines from that, if charcoal pellets come out or you can't blow through the canister, it's time for a new one. You can also blow out some of the evap lines from there.

tuckerrnr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had the charcoal canister off, I blew out the lines by blowing air into the tank from the filler neck. I learned the hard way from trying to top off the tank too many times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DogRig