Gas mileage.... Is this normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine averages 14.1 with 70% city 30% highway. i think thats pretty good considering its size

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
one thing not yet mentioned: where are you located? Your location is not by your screen name.
I'm in the midwest and my MPG drops considerably in the winter. Many blame it on "winter gas", I feel it is due mostly to the engine running rich while cold, taking a long time to heat up, and many people start their truck before they drive (weather it be seconds or minutes). Despite the reason why, most agree winter mileage is considerably less.

BTW, my Denali gets about 16.5 all highway in the summer. Winter all highway, 14.5-15. Winter city driving- short trips, long warm up times, I can get as little as 10 mpg. 06 Denali.

Just my opinion

Last edited:

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that why gas prices go down in the winter, because of crappy winter mixture?

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 05 Tahoe w/5.3l I get 15-16 in town and 18-20 on the highway.

Is this a two-wheel drive? Heck, I sure hope so. And you must be running the original size tires on it as well, you most likely NEVER put your foot into it.

I do not get more then 13 on an average according to the DIC per tank of gas. Even on the freeway, cruise on at 70mph and around 2000rpm I have NEVER seen better then 16.

Now I have to admit, I run 32 psi in my tires to get the most life out of them. I would assume I might get another 1 or 2 mpg if I would inflate up to 40psi.

05Yukon23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what are you saying? Calculate it the good ole fashion way?

Calculate by hand for sure. Sometimes the DIC is pretty close but others I have had it as much as 1.7 mpg off of what I was truly getting. Today, for example, the DIC said 19.5 and by hand I was getting 18.3.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Is that why gas prices go down in the winter, because of crappy winter mixture?

Gas prices go down in winter because there's less demand and more supply. At least in theory. They haven't done much here one way or another in about 9 months.

'03 Denali here. Summers on 32" A/T tires I get about 17-18 mpg highway, 13-14 city. Winters it goes way down. I've done almost no highway driving this winter, am running on some Blizzak winter tires, and I'm getting about 12 mpg. There's more drag much of the time due to snow and other road conditions, not to mention sticky tires. I also generously use the auto-start, so I probably burn about an 1/8 of each tank idling.

There are a lot of variables, especially if you're in an area impacted by winter weather. Driving habits, tires, terrain (do you live in the hills? That makes a big difference in these...), etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus