Gas pump keeps stopping when I fuel up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chvytahoe11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got my waterpump issue taken care of, now i want to fix this annoying issue when i fuel up my tahoe. Gas pump keeps stopping often, takes about 15 or so minutes to pump half a tank of gas. 2011 LT Tahoe 5.3. Whats the first thing that i need/should replace??

Thanks!

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
vent tube is plugged or the fill tube is kinked. mine doesnt take that long but i cant run the pump wide open.

tuckerrnr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saturated charcoal canister from too much topping off the tank. Ask me how I know. I replaced the vent line and the canister and solved the problem. I blew out the line when the canister was off by blowing air into the fuel tank from the filler tube.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you always gas up at the same place? I've wondered, before, if some pumps aren't maladjusted.

joe

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
It’s a multi step process to cure…

1st: Replace charcoal canister that likes to break its membrane and let pellets into the fuel system. YOU WANT to find it intact.

2nd: Replace vapor purge valve assembly under truck. If this stops the clickity clack of the filler nozzle, you lucked out.

If you have pellets falling out of the carbon canister or the purge valve assemb doesn’t fix it, there’s more steps. The two parts above are known to fail at 10+ years. Replacing them is a must regardless of outcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cliffdale3208