Genuine Tech2 quick question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
5StarCustmSolutns

5StarCustmSolutns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plug it in and make sure it works, if it does and give him the $200, you can use any standard 12v dc adapter whenever the need should arise that's no big deal at all, you probably have one that will work for it already laying around the house

Thanks, and I prob have 5 in my attic! Leftovers from my FEMA days

How you know that??? ;-)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, and I prob have 5 in my attic! Leftovers from my FEMA days

How you know that??? ;-)
because 12v adapters are probably the most common out there, that and 5v. way back in time it used to be 9v but times have changed.
unless you move up to laptop type supplies then it's 19v
I sell used electronics I probably have a thousand power supplies laying around, by far the most common are 12v and 19v, followed by 5v and 24v

OP
OP
5StarCustmSolutns

5StarCustmSolutns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
because 12v adapters are probably the most common out there, that and 5v. way back in time it used to be 9v but times have changed.
unless you move up to laptop type supplies then it's 19v
I sell used electronics I probably have a thousand power supplies laying around, by far the most common are 12v and 19v, followed by 5v and 24v
Good info! I have a couple of those iGo universal systems we used to use on the old CF-19 Toughbooks with FEMA. I'm sure there's a tip that fits and a charge base that pumps out the correct AC>DC rate....

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a toughbook 19...Quit using it because the power adapter went bad.
Bought an ebay replacement, and it quit soon after..

I wonder if that's why you guys had a different charging system..

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good info! I have a couple of those iGo universal systems we used to use on the old CF-19 Toughbooks with FEMA. I'm sure there's a tip that fits and a charge base that pumps out the correct AC>DC rate....
if it is a igo laptop power supply it's probably to much voltage the tech2 only uses 12v, a basic 12v 1a supply works fine
unless the igo shows a range down to 14-15v or has a switch to select 12v it might not be the best choice.
the tech2 might handle as much as 24v but I wouldn't want to test that theory lol

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
$200 sounds like a good deal, even if it is a clone.
I never use anything but the main unit, and the candi.

The power adapters don't do much for my use, even when plugged in mine still reboots if i turn on the engine... lol

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$200 sounds like a good deal, even if it is a clone.
I never use anything but the main unit, and the candi.

The power adapters don't do much for my use, even when plugged in mine still reboots if i turn on the engine... lol
you have to plug it on the bottom edge of the tech2 where the module slides in and you have to be sure it is 12v 1a. The other power connection on the cable is the wrong one
if it still reboots with it plugged in there then the power supply being used is to weak or not fully inserted.

OP
OP
5StarCustmSolutns

5StarCustmSolutns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it is a igo laptop power supply it's probably to much voltage the tech2 only uses 12v, a basic 12v 1a supply works fine
unless the igo shows a range down to 14-15v or has a switch to select 12v

Copy that- I'll make sure to not fry it......if I ever get it

Dude messaged me back Sat night(finally). Said he would be in town until Mon morning... We took some family down the upper New River Fri, then ran the gorge on Sat and I didn't see his message until last night...smh Got up early this morn in the hope of catching him before he leaves again?

OP
OP
5StarCustmSolutns

5StarCustmSolutns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I wanted to wrap this up.... Thank you all for your help! Per the norm, I was wayyy over thinking this, and trying to save a couple dollars...

The guy who had the two original right here in my back yard that was out of town working didn't reply to 3 texts from me asking if he was home or coming home soon. Then sent me a message at 831pm on the marketbook, which I don't use unless I'm shopping... I saw it 23hrs later and replied, sent another text and called him sayin I would meet him whenever Monday morn. Didn't hear from him at all. Monday afternoon I got on market and he had marked item SOLD. I mess him again on market and phone asking "you sell both". Tuesday I got reply said "yes".... SMH

So I got online and ordered one from OBDII.SHOP, and pay $68 for 3-7day shipping from Hong Kong, $309.xx total... Received confirm email of order. 3 days later still no tracking number. Sent email ask WTH is goin on? Got reply stating I had to pay $58 more for rural delivery! I took deep breath and instead of teeing off I wrote the most legally correct letter I could come up with after self teaching myself Law off and on for last two years. That was last Friday. Told them they had til Monday to close of business to resolve the problem. Said I paid for 3-7 day ship and this is day 9!

A few hours went buy w/no reply.... So at the urging of my better half, I got on Ebay and ordered one for $398.00, after fees and tax it was $428... Then an hour later got an email from OBDII.SHOP profusely apologizing and stating they shipped it FEDEX Express (attached screen shot)

Today, less than 30hrs after Ebay purchase the expensive clone arrived (attached pic). Fastest I've ever received anything Ive ever bought off Ebay....ever!

So in the beginning I was thinking I might get two authentic Tech 2's for under $400.......and in the end it looks like I'm going to get two clones for $737......(insert face palm here)

But I have one (two) and I'm grateful for that.....thanks again guys!! :D

20240828_235658.jpgScreenshot 2024-08-29 12.15.37 AM.png

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ouch.. I have run myself in circles over a car part before. not quite to that extent but definitely annoying. I felt your face palm in my soul lol.

but hey, the upside if you can confirm both work well and all the connectors are in good shape. post one up for sale here and I think you'll get it sold. I feel like the biggest hold back of guys buying the clone tech 2 is feeling they might not work and can't return it to China. being able to confirm they are getting a good one might be worth it to buy from you.

if anyone sees this ordering from China, just give them a chance if something goes wrong. they are on totally different schedules and lot of time running everything thru translation software to email support. not once out of ordering literally 100s of China stuff have they not don't whatever needed to make it right. usually sending me a new one for free or if I'd like refunded me and keep the part. much better service than I've gotten from a few USA companies that's forsure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beniskickbutt

Latest posts