Getting message?:"Tighten Gas Cap" or are you Unable to fill your tank? ! Look here !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scrnchr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is the part I bought, which all the parts websites said is the correct part for my 2004 Tahoe LS.

10yj912.jpg

But this two-piece kit is also available, althought the websites say this is NOT the right kit for my Tahoe.

w7gp4.jpg

Here is what I see when I crawl under my truck.

This is near the back of the gas tank. This rectangular piece looks a lot like the one in the two-piece kit above.

157owvb.jpg

This is the Evap Canister mounted on the side of the gas tank.

10iik9t.jpg

One of the lines from the Evap Canister leads to the unit pointed to by the arrows in the next three photos. I can't tell if this is the other part shown in the two-piece kit above. Does anyone know what this part is?

2zf64w6.jpg

16av337.jpg

11c8678.jpg

Finally, this is a little more forward. I'm not sure what the arrow is pointing at, but I don't think it's part of the evap system. Maybe part of the 4WD shifting system? I have no idea.

qrzqrq.jpg

Here are a couple of GM diagrams I found, and a couple of pages from the GM manual. I see there is some confusion between "purge valve" and "vent valve". The manual says the purge valve is under the hood, on the intake manifold. But I have looked at that, and the part I bought is much bigger. I think other GM trucks, especially pickups, have the part I bought near the gas tank. And I think what I bought is a "vent valve" regardless of the word "purge" in the name of the part.

df83g9.jpg

29z3312.jpg

35iybur.jpg

21dlzpz.jpg

Any ideas on what I have here?

THANKS.

scrnchr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK, the cylindrical part is a redesigned replacement for the box shaped part at the back of the gas tank. Got it replaced and am waiting for the EVAP check to complete (reset the codes). Now I'm fighting the dreaded P0101 MAF DTC problem. Think I'll buy another GM..... um, no....

Eschrichtius

Reaction score
OK, the cylindrical part is a redesigned replacement for the box shaped part at the back of the gas tank. Got it replaced and am waiting for the EVAP check to complete (reset the codes). Now I'm fighting the dreaded P0101 MAF DTC problem. Think I'll buy another GM..... um, no....

So which picture is the one that shows the Solenoid?

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu

Umm.... They all have their problems. Nobody makes a perfect vehicle. They all aim for satisficing.

No, I didn't misspell satisfying. Satisficing is a real word.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Eschrichtius

Reaction score
So I just finished installing the part; I haven't been to the gas station yet but I will soon. I took a pic showing the placement of the part on the truck:
43b58e2e-1.jpg
You can see it with the wire loom and the hose coming from it, in front of the axle attached to the underbody with a clip which is somewhat difficult to remove. The hose clip is a little tricky but came off easier than the clip for solenoid. Scale of 1-10 1 being easy 10 being hard I'd say it was a 3. Mostly because of the awkward positioning for me to try and get the clips off. Would've been easier on a lift. Only necessary tool was a flathead screwdriver.

Last edited:

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Damn all of you. I read this thread, and even posted 2 weeks ago. Now I'm suffering the same problems. Got the fuel cap warning message earlier and the P0449 today. Looks like I'm fixing the truck on Thursday.

Edit:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is a TSB on this as of April 2011 for NNBS trucks. Bulletin number is 09-06-04-028C. There is a revised evaporative emmissions (EVAP) canister vent solenoid (CVS) valve assembly. The revised EVAP CVS valve vent pipe attaches to the fuel tank filler neck. New p/ns are 20995472 for the EVAP CVS valve assembly and 19257603 for the jumper harness. Expect to spend ~$80. Service department can provide you with detailed install instructions should you want to attempt this. Looks very simple and will attempt to do this myself tomorrow afternoon. Book time for the dealership is .8 hours. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Eschrichtius

Reaction score
I'm still having trouble with this. The first day I filled up after the install (about two weeks ago), it clicked twice initially trying to pump gas, but then let me fill the whole tank. So I thought the problem was solved. Today I go to fill up again, and it's back to square one. Clicking every f#%^ing 5 seconds! This is annoying as hell...
Any more ideas on fixing this? Did I just waste $25???

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
I'm still having trouble with this. The first day I filled up after the install (about two weeks ago), it clicked twice initially trying to pump gas, but then let me fill the whole tank. So I thought the problem was solved. Today I go to fill up again, and it's back to square one. Clicking every f#%^ing 5 seconds! This is annoying as hell...
Any more ideas on fixing this? Did I just waste $25???

Read my post above yours. It tells you everything.

scrnchr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't know if that new kit will solve your problem or not, Esch. My issue was the code being thrown and not passing emissions. I never had the clicking off while filling problem.

Anyway, I bought a MAF sensor at a junkyard for 40 bucks, popped it in and the P0101 code went away. Then the truck got stuck in 4WD. I ended up replacing the transfer case encoder motor. Royal pain in the butt. I cannot allow myself to buy any more GM trucks...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattmoore939