GM Cold air kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RoliO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok that's what I thought. My intake tube has the same layout.

After looking at the kit again I don't know why GM did not design the polished piece different. It is only about 10" long. I don't see why they did not make it longer and then make the rubber connect pieces smaller. For the $$ they charge on the kit you would think it would be more bling than rubber. :) It should be almost the length from the MAF sensor to the TB in my opinion. Then use small rubber hoses to connect them there.

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great, I can't wait to install mine and see if there is a performance increase or just more sound.

I think I would like it more if the filter box lid was black, but that's just me. I was thinking of painting mine but didn't want chrome coming through if the black started to scratch off.

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

BTW, how totally riddiculous is the stock airbox setup?? The silencer tube not only runs all the way to the back of the vavle cover but there is a piece that drops down too! I was laughing as I was pulling that nonsense out.

OP
OP
R

RoliO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great, I can't wait to install mine and see if there is a performance increase or just more sound.

I think I would like it more if the filter box lid was black, but that's just me. I was thinking of painting mine but didn't want chrome coming through if the black started to scratch off.

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

BTW, how totally riddiculous is the stock airbox setup?? The silencer tube not only runs all the way to the back of the vavle cover but there is a piece that drops down too! I was laughing as I was pulling that nonsense out.

I agree it sounds a little deeper when you mash the pedal but otherwise under normal driving I don't notice any difference. I think there is some performance increase. My guess is 5-10hp at most. It would probably benefit a lot more with a custome tune. That will be my next mod. That stock intake is a POS. I'm not a fan of the bling bling chrome filter cover either but they have to justify the $300 cost somehow. :D I would have been happy with a plastic one and decrease the cost of the kit by at least $50. MSRP is $405 for this entire set up!! The parts alone prob cost GM less than $100. That leaves a lot of room for profit!

Last edited:

Jmat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After looking at the kit again I don't know why GM did not design the polished piece different. It is only about 10" long. I don't see why they did not make it longer and then make the rubber connect pieces smaller. For the $$ they charge on the kit you would think it would be more bling than rubber. :) It should be almost the length from the MAF sensor to the TB in my opinion. Then use small rubber hoses to connect them there.

You just described the AEM design.

picture.jpg

OP
OP
R

RoliO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just described the AEM design.

picture.jpg

Yes my thoughts exactly. That looks much nicer!

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

I have not calculated my mileage. But I have never seen it go this high either on the DIC. :shocked: I've seen it go as high at 99mpg. I know it is not possible to get that good gas mileage but I know it has gotten better.

Jul13.gif

OP
OP
R

RoliO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my GMPP cai for almost a year. The mpg change was minimal. As for a tune, I recommend getting the corvette servo first and get a tune at the same time.

What is the Corvette servo?

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes my thoughts exactly. That looks much nicer!

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

I have not calculated my mileage. But I have never seen it go this high either on the DIC. :shocked: I've seen it go as high at 99mpg. I know it is not possible to get that good gas mileage but I know it has gotten better.

lol, I dunno, that little computer thingy doesn't lie. I'd guess we will all average 88mpg with a CIA.

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

What is the Corvette servo?

I thought this was something you did to LS motors with a clutch fan?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian