Grease slip yolk cluk how to?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mechahead

Reaction score
I am curious about this...

Can someone describe this "clunking"?

I have a clunking sound that seems to be associated with the vehicle downshifting upon stopping.

The clunk you may be getting is from a 3-2 downshift torque reversal. GM claims it is a normal condition. Its covered under TSB number 01-07-30-042h.

The clunk here was very common with the NBS after you came to a stop and started moving again. The slip yoke was sticking and causing a clunk as the tension was released as the driveshaft started to spin again.

ledlow

Reaction score
Appreciate it...would my BB "engine tune" make it worse? Because I don't remember it doing that prior to me tuning it.

Mechahead

Reaction score
I really don't think that would make a difference. I have heard trucks with less than 30k on them with no mods doing it.

OP
OP

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The clunk happens when slowing down gliding then giving gas.

When gliding to a stop like getting off a highway ramp.

When taking over a vehicle ( getting into it).

Ect. It's the slip yolk. Very common on all the gm trucks. I worry about greasing it because from what I read it will mix with the tranny fluid.

It's also common to the escalades as well. The nickel played yolk was gm root cause fix

BrandonH13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 07 Yukon has the same problem. It clucks when you are about to stop and then when you take off. My wife thought it was something when she was turning, until I drove it and it did it to me when I was about to stop (maybe 5-10 mph) and then again when I would take off.
We just bought the car monday and it wasn't doing it....oh well. On our car fax though, they replaced the universal u joint back when it had 75xxx miles on it. It now sits at 142000, so guessing the previous owner had it happening to them too and tried to get it fixed.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has any ones clunking advanced to a shudder or vinration?
I don't remember experiencing any kind of clunking but I had work done on my Tahoe and ever since they did hat they did, at cruising speeds is shakes/vibrates. I'm pretty sure they beat the snot outta my Tahoe while doing there "road test".
I went under it recently and shook the driveshaft up and down and side to side and it made a noise very similar to what it does at speeds.
I have a PPV and am aware of the abuse they go through.
Is a yoke something that common to wear so much to have that much play?

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their slip yoke to fix this issue? Ours does this. Is is something easy to do our should I be taking it to the shop?

Chetrick87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine makes the noise when i take off from a stop. Not everytime though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968