Grinding noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC PUMP, take belt off to verify. but I am 99% sure that's what it is, if confirmed leave belt off and get it replaced before it sends shrapnel through the whole system.
you can also look visually and see when the clutch activates and engages the pump the noise happens.
just start it up, turn on the ac and then go watch the ac clutch, it will engage and disengage every so many seconds
A lot of people are missing that the noise only happens when accelerating at around 30 mph. Noise doesn’t happen any other time. How ever it seems to be getting louder and happening more .

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone’s saying all these things like flex plate, or flywheel, gears and stuff I have no idea what that is and apparently the shop can’t find it

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start with the easy stuff.

Test the A/C compressor as Doubelieve suggested.

If you don't know what it is or where to look, might try driving and flip the A/C on or off when the noise happens so you can rule that out.

Little noises are the kind of thing shops don't really want to waste their time on, they usually aren't able to charge much for the time spent.

I say get the chassis ear and hunt down that noise! You don't need to know what anything is, just don't put anything close to spinning parts. I've never used one, but always wanted to try it.. so you should get one and write a review :)

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start with the easy stuff.

Test the A/C compressor as Doubelieve suggested.

If you don't know what it is or where to look, might try driving and flip the A/C on or off when the noise happens so you can rule that out.

Little noises are the kind of thing shops don't really want to waste their time on, they usually aren't able to charge much for the time spent.

I say get the chassis ear and hunt down that noise! You don't need to know what anything is, just don't put anything close to spinning parts. I've never used one, but always wanted to try it.. so you should get one and write a review :)
Definitely cannot afford the chassis’s ear. As cools as it is. And idk if it means much but my AC was working ok today. Noise was still there.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to switch it on or off when you hear the noise to see if the noise changes/goes away.
No change, it's probably something else.

Second easiest thing is to take the accessory belt off. That would eliminate idler pulleys, alternator, water pump, power steering as possible culprits.

Maybe try moving your phone to different areas and record away. Get some good tape..

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or, do you have a loose shield somewhere that is vibrating. Maybe have someone run the gas pedal while you are underneath and try to pinpoint the noise

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or, do you have a loose shield somewhere that is vibrating. Maybe have someone run the gas pedal while you are underneath and try to pinpoint the noise
Doesn’t happen at stop. Only happens at 25-30 mph and only when I lightly tap the gas at that speed.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to switch it on or off when you hear the noise to see if the noise changes/goes away.
No change, it's probably something else.

Second easiest thing is to take the accessory belt off. That would eliminate idler pulleys, alternator, water pump, power steering as possible culprits.

Maybe try moving your phone to different areas and record away. Get some good tape..
This noise only happens when driving at 30 mph and lightly holding accelerator.