Grinding noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am scared it’s my torque converter or flywheel as my transmission has been weird ever since I got it. Every mechanic I have seen says they don’t hear the rattling noise from the video.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The flex plate will only have to do with the starting of the engine. The rest of the time it just spins with the torque converter. A cracked flex plate can make noise at different times. But, the TC can cause transmission problem symptoms. I said before and will stick to what I said, I THINK it is a shield of some sort but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I've done nothing and I'm all out of ideas!"
No bc I don’t know how to do any of that. The pulley stuff. I’m just a basic guy asking about my vehicle I don’t know Jack other than how to fill my gas and do my oil.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No bc I don’t know how to do any of that. The pulley stuff. I’m just a basic guy asking about my vehicle I don’t know Jack other than how to fill my gas and do my oil.
ok, here is a simple way
get a helper, wife, girlfriend, kid, boyfriend, neighbor, bum off the street -whatever
park the vehicle, pop the hood, start it up and have the (other person) rev it up in park, have them turn the ac on while you listen under the hood.
listen carefully while they rev it up with the ac both on and then off.
this is one place to start
note that sometimes when the ac pump goes out it will be fine at low idle and will still work just like it should, but rev it up high and then you will hear the noise if it is going out.

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also sounds like you want a simple, magical answer from a forum. Pretty hard to pinpoint really. There's been lots of good suggestions from lots of very nice, and experienced members here. Maybe it's time to get your hands dirty. Or take it to someone that's willing to help and not hoping to get you to agree to a new transmission. Removing a engine cover is very simple. Most of the suggestions given here are basic and simple to the members that have given them. Where are you located? It's not uncommon for a forum member to be close enough, and kind enough to be willing to give it a look. Also there are more forums out there. Maybe do a search and post your issues there? You never can tell.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The things they have mentioned trying are very simple tasks. If you can't complete any of those, I doubt you'll be able to complete the repair. It's hard to give an answer on something without knowing all the details. Process of elimination is the very first task to complete. I hope you can get it sorted out though. If you have questions regarding the process of any of those steps, plenty of very intelligent, helpful folks here who will be more than happy to walk you through it.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The things they have mentioned trying are very simple tasks. If you can't complete any of those, I doubt you'll be able to complete the repair. It's hard to give an answer on something without knowing all the details. Process of elimination is the very first task to complete. I hope you can get it sorted out though. If you have questions regarding the process of any of those steps, plenty of very intelligent, helpful folks here who will be more than happy to walk you through it.
It’s what we do..