Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's done.

@OR VietVet, the panhard bushings are perfectly fine. That was just dirty grease built up around the bushing, hiding its square edge. The inside edge of the lip is radiused a little. Cleaned a little to check and take this pic:

IMG_3948.JPG

When I had the bar unbolted and hanging, I removed the bushings to inspect and to use as guides. If they were 100% clean, you'd be hard-pressed to tell they weren't new.

First I fixed those frame and axle bushings. All were splayed but the rears were much worse. The bases of the bushings are thicker/deeper than the originals, so they were squished when I tightened the U-brackets all the way:

IMG_3943.JPG

On the rear, I needed 5mm of shimming. I used three washers totaling 4mm to shim the brackets so that they bottomed out just a hair after the bushings did. No more squished and splayed bushings:

IMG_3947.JPG

Front needed a little less and I was out of washers, so I used some spacers I had on hand (leftovers from my garage/overhead door days) that ended up being perfect:

IMG_3949.JPG

Last edited:

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's done.

@OR VietVet, the panhard bushings are perfectly fine. That was just dirty grease built up around the bushing, hiding its square edge. The inside edge of the lip is radiused a little. Cleaned a little to check and take this pic:

View attachment 387628

When I had the bar unbolted and hanging, I removed the bushings to inspect and to use as guides. If they were 100% clean, you'd be hard-pressed to tell they weren't new.

First I fixed those frame and axle bushings. All were splayed but the rears were much worse. The bases of the bushings are thicker/deeper than the originals, so they were squished when I tightened the U-brackets all the way:

View attachment 387629

On the rear, I needed 5mm of shimming. I used three washers totaling 4mm to shim the brackets so that they bottomed out just a hair after the bushings did No more squished and splayed bushings:

View attachment 387630

Front needed a little less and I was out of washers, so I used some spacers I had on hand (leftovers from my garage/overhead door days) that ended up being perfect:

View attachment 387631
home made lube?

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then, for the main task at hand-

I scratched a line using the bushing as a guide and made an initial slice. It looks like I'll be gaining at least 20mm of clearance here. Should be more than plenty:

IMG_3951.JPG

Started with some rough slices using the panhard bushings, located by the bolt, to gauge progress:

IMG_3952.JPG

I used a semi-worn grinding wheel to round out the crotch of the cut to not have stress risers and to give it a good "hinge" point. I ended up unbolting the shock and removing the wheel to have room to swing the hammer and weld. Apparently, this pic showing the inside of the mount pocket is all I got before wire brushing, painting and reassembly:

IMG_3956.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reassembled and on the ground to test clearance-

Lots of space now:

IMG_3957.JPG

IMG_3958.JPG

Money shot:

IMG_3959.JPG

It's pretty much dead-centered between the shock and panhard mount now. It cleared the shock before, so it'll definitely clear that mount now. I was in filthy shop clothes and wasn't gonna sit in it to go for a test drive. So I went inside for lunch and to shower but got busy with a bunch of other stuff. So I'll assess tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMHO, when you shim it, no matter what you use, to impersonate the flat mount surface of the frame, the shim should be as large an outer diameter as is allowable. Otherwise the flex forces allows the bushing bracket to rock side to side and cause possible breakage/cracks in the bracket.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they poly bushings? I guess they will be ok. My OCD is telling me make square stock shims to fit the groove in the bushing and support the base of it. Are the washers/spacers just on one side of the bracket or both?

Poly or thermoplastic. Hard to tell, but I'm gonna guess poly since they're so shiny.

I get the OCD thing and I geek out on a lot of stuff. But there are no loads acting on these brackets to demand anything further. I mean, look at the bolts holding them in the first place. The washers are doing the same thing as having the base of the U-bracket at the same plane as the base of the bushing. Square stock would be more supportive, but I don't think the washers are not supportive enough. Square stock would certainly look better. But this was a quicker and perfectly viable solution. I did use washers on both sides. I'm not a hack!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pbruton89