Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO, when you shim it, no matter what you use, to impersonate the flat mount surface of the frame, the shim should be as large an outer diameter as is allowable. Otherwise the flex forces allows the bushing bracket to rock side to side and cause possible breakage/cracks in the bracket.

If there's a weak point, I will find it and report back with pics!

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally had a chance to test it a little yesterday. With no "helpful" pressure in the bags, it doesn't wag and wallow when performing the "emergency lane change/obstacle avoidance test". I got rough with quickly jiggling the wheel quickly from around 10 and 2 o'clock. It immediately stabilized.

Took an exit ramp that becomes a secluded feeder before a cloverleaf on ramp. The feeder has a nice chicane in it. I'm very familiar with all of this and know about how fast I should go before it's uncomfortable. All curves slid me out of the seat well before it felt like it was leaning too much. I threw it into the start of the cloverleaf and had to hold onto the center console to keep from sliding into the door. Before, I'd have to moderate my speed due to the swaying. Now, I have to moderate due to the tire's grip. I triggered the traction control before the body felt like it was swaying to a dangerous extent. And the Pirellis I'm running are considerably stickier than the Brickstones on my 20s. I'm very pleased so far! I know these bars are gonna help me find the next weak link in the chain. I just hope that'll be a cheap and easy fix/upgrade!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Finally had a chance to test it a little yesterday. With no "helpful" pressure in the bags, it doesn't wag and wallow when performing the "emergency lane change/obstacle avoidance test". I got rough with quickly jiggling the wheel quickly from around 10 and 2 o'clock. It immediately stabilized.

Took an exit ramp that becomes a secluded feeder before a cloverleaf on ramp. The feeder has a nice chicane in it. I'm very familiar with all of this and know about how fast I should go before it's uncomfortable. All curves slid me out of the seat well before it felt like it was leaning too much. I threw it into the start of the cloverleaf and had to hold onto the center console to keep from sliding into the door. Before, I'd have to moderate my speed due to the swaying. Now, I have to moderate due to the tire's grip. I triggered the traction control before the body felt like it was swaying to a dangerous extent. And the Pirellis I'm running are considerably stickier than the Brickstones on my 20s. I'm very pleased so far! I know these bars are gonna help me find the next weak link in the chain. I just hope that'll be a cheap and easy fix/upgrade!
Hopefully you had the gf with you when you were jiggling the wheel :boobs:you know, for entertainment.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last Friday, I was on my work phone walking another tech through some stuff so I was in work mode. I stopped for gas and accidentally put 9.3 gallons of 87 in my Tahoe before I realized what I had done. I drove it home gently. Took it Saturday morning to a RaceTrac about 22 miles away cuz that's my nearest E-85 station. I've been wanting to try a tank of E-85 since replacing the O2 sensors a couple years ago, anyway. I brought my laptop to scan for knock to see just how bad it was. Maybe the 45° IATs helped, but I could drive pretty normally and it was fine. But, as soon as I got a little frisky with the throttle- 4° of KR.

I got 16.75 gallons ($2.38/gal for those counting) of the corn oil and continued down the highway to get some miles on it to see what the virtual sensor would settle at. I've only tried E-85 once before, a couple of years ago. The highest it calculated back then was around 22% with an actual measured content of 65%. I've done the engine work and replaced the O2 sensors since then. Today, the highest I saw was in the 50s percentiles. After about 11 miles, it seemed to have settled at 40.8. The E-85 made a huge difference. I got a little more aggressive leaving each traffic light while watching for KR and there was none. I pulled in to Walmart and, while stopped at the far end of the lot, stomped it and saw 2°. I went in the store for a few things and grabbed a couple bottles of Lucas Octane Booster as well. Once home, I took a sample at the fuel rail to see what the actual net alcohol content is, then poured in the two bottles of booster.

The fuel in the test vial settled to 45%:

IMG_4086.JPG

I'm feeling a lot better about mine accurately calculating the alcohol content. But, I still want a physical sensor.

I've been racking my pea-brain trying to figure out what that E45 blend yields in octane. The interwebz say that E85 is around 108 octane. I guess I need to know how many gallons I have of whatever is now in the tank to calculate it. I just thought I could equate "If 85% alcohol equals 108 octane, then 45% alcohol would equal 52.9 octane." I know this isn't right. I'm not mathing today.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was parked at a friend's house yesterday and had my wheels turned. I've decided that I don't like the angle of my front sway bar. My end links, while shorter than stock, are still way too long:

IMG_4100.JPG

These links and bushings were new when I installed these bars about 1.5 weeks ago. Side view showing angle of bar:

IMG_4099.JPG

Roughly eyeballing it looks like I could chop that center hex stock spacer to put the two bushings it separates touching back-to-back and the bar would be about right. Or, remove those two bushings altogether and use a single thick bushing between the bar end and control arm. I'd have to see how much misalignment actually takes place during the range of motion. There's not much uptravel cuz the tire is stopped by the inner fender. Down travel is probably my bigger concern and that might not be an issue, either.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was parked at a friend's house yesterday and had my wheels turned. I've decided that I don't like the angle of my front sway bar. My end links, while shorter than stock, are still way too long:

View attachment 388117

These links and bushings were new when I installed these bars about 1.5 weeks ago. Side view showing angle of bar:

View attachment 388118

Roughly eyeballing it looks like I could chop that center hex stock spacer to put the two bushings it separates touching back-to-back and the bar would be about right. Or, remove those two bushings altogether and use a single thick bushing between the bar end and control arm. I'd have to see how much misalignment actually takes place during the range of motion. There's not much uptravel cuz the tire is stopped by the inner fender. Down travel is probably my bigger concern and that might not be an issue, either.

Those upper link bushings are definitely hurting with that angle. I would imagine somebody out there makes custom or adjustable links.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 388117

View attachment 388118

have you tried mounting it the other way around? swap left and right sides

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pbruton89