Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the wire stretched when the suspension unloaded if I'm understanding this right. The wires are inside the plastic which stretches.

I wish it were so simple. I've had mine hanging on the lift countless times and even for weeks at a time. I have a 4.5" rear drop and the shocks and sway bar won't let it droop anywhere nearly enough to stress the wires. They had plenty of floppy slack in them when I swapped them around yesterday.

I've never seen this before. Where is it located? I twisted up a paper towel and crammed it in the hole where the sensor went, pushed on it with a large Phillips screwdriver and turned the wheel on both directions to wipe the axle shaft clean. It definitely was smooth.

This is what my junk axle looks like. I even measured from the flange to the sensor hole then compared it to that area on the junk axle. It's smooth.

All of this stumping has me feeling really stupid lately:

Used a plastic cap to hold back pressurized fuel while I drove around for a couple hundred miles
Can't figure out how a Hall effect sensor reads a smooth shaft
Can't figure out how this sensor was damaged by driving through a dip that hundreds of cars hit daily for years
Can't figure out how to connect my laptop to my Tahoe for HPT
Can't get my alcohol content to read accurately anymore
Just found out I might (probably?) have the wrong O2 sensors that seem to be fine for engine operation and ragged-edge tuning but not for calculating alcohol content

*sigh*
I'm going to bed.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish it were so simple. I've had mine hanging on the lift countless times and even for weeks at a time. I have a 4.5" rear drop and the shocks and sway bar won't let it droop anywhere nearly enough to stress the wires. They had plenty of floppy slack in them when I swapped them around yesterday.

I've never seen this before. Where is it located? I twisted up a paper towel and crammed it in the hole where the sensor went, pushed on it with a large Phillips screwdriver and turned the wheel on both directions to wipe the axle shaft clean. It definitely was smooth.

This is what my junk axle looks like. I even measured from the flange to the sensor hole then compared it to that area on the junk axle. It's smooth.

Used a plastic cap to hold back pressurized fuel while I drove around for a couple hundred miles
Can't figure out how this sensor was damaged by driving through a dip that hundreds of cars hit daily for years
Just found out I might (probably?) have the wrong O2 sensors that seem to be fine for engine operation and ragged-edge tuning but not for calculating alcohol content

*sigh*
I'm going to bed.
I feel for ya Chris! Often feel the same way.

Well, that reluctor wheel is supposed to be right behind the bearing. I think there is some space between the two but not sure how much until I get the tool to seat it.

Since your code moved when you moved the wire, I would say it is good and just replace the sensor.

Reaction score
I have a pair of Denso 234-4668 oxygen sensors that I bought last fall but haven't installed them yet. I'm pretty sure the sensors currently in the vehicle are the original ones. My alcohol % is always within 5% when I've tested it. I plan on changing them when I do the exhaust manifold bolts in a couple months and then keep testing the fuel and comparing the %.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score

*sigh*
I'm going to bed.
Been slamming too much ***-iner lately. Gotta take a break here and there. You do that, thats why we were so dumb as teenagers and early 20s. Too much of it.

V-Ag-INer

Hell @Dantheman1540 found some, up and left for months, came back married....Tell me thats a coincidence.

Be careful fellas

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

*sigh*
I'm going to bed.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel for ya Chris! Often feel the same way.

Well, that reluctor wheel is supposed to be right behind the bearing. I think there is some space between the two but not sure how much until I get the tool to seat it.

When I replace the sensor, I'll use a wire to feel around. I need answers!

Since your code moved when you moved the wire, I would say it is good and just replace the sensor.

This is the one forward step in all of this!

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Denso 234-4668 oxygen sensors that I bought last fall but haven't installed them yet. I'm pretty sure the sensors currently in the vehicle are the original ones. My alcohol % is always within 5% when I've tested it. I plan on changing them when I do the exhaust manifold bolts in a couple months and then keep testing the fuel and comparing the %.

What lead you to buy those Denso 234-4668 sensors? Maybe we both followed the same troll.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked out the sensors I removed back in 2020. I can't say for sure that they're factory original or the exact same as original. The first owner took very good care of the Tahoe and the dealer I bought it from didn't have it long enough nor ever had any problems to require replacement of such parts. So, if I had to guess, I'd say they're the original sensors with 200K miles on them and, at least back then, Denso was the OE supplier:

IMG_E5296.JPG

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked out the sensors I removed back in 2020. I can't say for sure that they're factory original or the exact same as original. The first owner took very good care of the Tahoe and the dealer I bought it from didn't have it long enough nor ever had any problems to require replacement of such parts. So, if I had to guess, I'd say they're the original sensors with 200K miles on them and, at least back then, Denso was the OE supplier:

View attachment 396727
Same as mine that I think I possibly sent you a pic of when I was parts gathering

Also, my alcohol level stayed at 21.6% after over half a tank of 100%. Today I topped off from just under a quarter tank and logged it. Bam, 4.4%, but wait. It jumped around from that, to 7.7, then up as high as 28%, then back down to 14 I think. This was in a <5 mile span of logging. So idk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jchavez95

Latest posts