Help dropping trans pan and changing fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonnieBrasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 Yukon with about 195k. Next project (before the water pump) is dropping the pan and changing the transmission fluid and gasket on the pan.

I need some guidance on this. I've read that just dropping the pan and changing that fluid won't change out all the fluid. I've also read that flushing is no good but there's a split on that. What's my best avenue? I'd like to replace all the fluid as I suspect it hasn't been done in forever. Also what gasket do I need for the tranny fluid pan? Like what is the exact name of isn't. I did a quick search on rock auto and couldn't figure out what I needed. Any help is much appreciated.

Mudfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would change the filter while you're in there. They are only around $25-30 and they include a new gasket.

If you have a drain plug on your pan you can replace the fluid in in phases. I don't think you'll get all of the transmission fluid out without doing a flush, there is a lot of controversy on whether or not you should do a flush.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My feeling on flushes is if you've done them since day one, on regular intervals around factory recommendations or more often, than flushes are a good way to handle things.

On a used truck, or a truck with higher mileage that has never had a flush I'd avoid it in favor of a drain & fill with a filter change.

What you could do is a drain & fill with a filter change (a pan gasket should be included with all filter kits) & than a few thousand miles later do another fluid change (if you're concerned about not having changed all the fluid. You're pan should have a drain bolt allowing you to drain without the need to drop your pan.

Cameron

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I followed these instructions a couple of months ago at 120k (the dealer did a power flush at 60k) and I didn't experience any adverse affects so far. However, you're in a pretty different situation given the significantly higher mileage on your truck. Do you know the intervals of previous transmission fluid changes?

While the link I provided is a good method for flushing, you might want to just drain the pan, change the filter and gasket, then just refill the pan. Doing a complete evacuation of old fluid, and adding totally new fluid might mean the end of your transmission if it hasn't been properly serviced over the years.

JBTJ

Reaction score
I followed these instructions a couple of months ago at 120k (the dealer did a power flush at 60k) and I didn't experience any adverse affects so far. However, you're in a pretty different situation given the significantly higher mileage on your truck. Do you know the intervals of previous transmission fluid changes?

While the link I provided is a good method for flushing, you might want to just drain the pan, change the filter and gasket, then just refill the pan. Doing a complete evacuation of old fluid, and adding totally new fluid might mean the end of your transmission if it hasn't been properly serviced over the years.

I have been using this method for years and never had a problem. I also think it's the best. May want to add on an external filter so you no longer need to drop the pan and change the internal filter and make a mess doing so. It also aids in pumping out all the old ATF in the torque converter. Here is how I did mine. http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61672

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use wix for the filter. Yes, you will change out 4-6 quarts, trans/converter/cooler holds a minimum of 10 when bone dry. Don't worry with that, just do it!

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would change the filter while you're in there. They are only around $25-30 and they include a new gasket.

If you have a drain plug on your pan you can replace the fluid in in phases. I don't think you'll get all of the transmission fluid out without doing a flush, there is a lot of controversy on whether or not you should do a flush.

Good luck with the drain plug if your pan has one. some do some don't it was a random feature that depended on what was on hand at the time the transmission was assembled.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Not all years or models had the Drain Plugs. They were a random item depending on the plant that was stamping out the transmission pans. They made both plugged and non-plugged pans and once the early production drain-style pans were used up the rest of the trucks just got regular non-drain plug pans.

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

Use wix for the filter. Yes, you will change out 4-6 quarts, trans/converter/cooler holds a minimum of 10 when bone dry. Don't worry with that, just do it!

Last edited:

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, before you go singing Fram's praise better hold up some Fram products next to some Wix products. Then, after you do, come back and tell us how you feel. Bet your tune changes! I have both available to me, same part application, and the Wix wont even fit in the Fram box, its that much bigger/better made. No ********.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're an idiot. People like you try to make everyone else dumber. But, ya can't talk sense to an idiot. Thanks for playing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968