Help identify a sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope just got it. Was going to go and do the service on the front rear and tcase. Just did the trans and a couple solenoids. Really hope I don’t have to fix the diff. I’m already doing the rear main seal and plate this weekend! lol
that's just what it sounds like to me if you are just cruising and not hitting the brakes
but you could get under there and take a look at the u joints, parking brake, etc basically rule stuff in or out
you could also grab it try to wiggle it and see if it has any play at all, shouldn't have any, if it is leaking that's usually a clue
also check the differential fluid level, should be up to the fill hole or a hair under if it has a regular diff cover

OP
OP
T

Tf79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
that's just what it sounds like to me if you are just cruising and not hitting the brakes
but you could get under there and take a look at the u joints, parking brake, etc basically rule stuff in or out
you could also grab it try to wiggle it and see if it has any play at all, shouldn't have any, if it is leaking that's usually a clue
also check the differential fluid level, should be up to the fill hole or a hair under if it has a regular diff cover
I’ll check that and update tonight

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup sure sounds like a pinion or axle bearing getting loaded up on a pitted race. They typically get noisy the most when letting off the throttle. Id be inspecting diffs for glitter!!! There is also a chance that a bearing in the BW AWD unit is the culprit too! I dont envy your future of laying under there in this heat for all this!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tf79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yup sure sounds like a pinion or axle bearing getting loading up on a pitted race. They typically get noisy the most when letting off the throttle. Id be inspecting diffs for glitter!!! There is also a chance that a bearing in the BW AWD unit is the culprit too! I dont envy your future of laying under there in this heat for all this!!!
That’s what I don’t get! My only challenger was only noisy when off throttle when the diff went bad. I checked fluid all is well. Tomorrow I’m gonna start doing the rear main, I’ll check the tcase when I drop it all to see if I can find anything

Lil Timmy Shy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check your front hub bearings. That's what mine was doing and it turned out to be the right front hub (4X4).

OP
OP
T

Tf79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bump for people looking for an answer 5-10 years from now, I’m 98% sure it’s coming from the awd t-case, but I’m not going to pull the tcase apart. I have checked everything else in the drivetrain and nothing else is out of spec and is working as it should

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump for people looking for an answer 5-10 years from now, I’m 98% sure it’s coming from the awd t-case, but I’m not going to pull the tcase apart. I have checked everything else in the drivetrain and nothing else is out of spec and is working as it should
Dont be scared of a Tcase. They are stupid easy and there arent alot of parts inside them. They are not near as complex as a transmission. Tons of videos on youtube on disassembly and reassembly.

OP
OP
T

Tf79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dont be scared of a Tcase. They are stupid easy and there arent alot of parts inside them. They are not near as complex as a transmission. Tons of videos on youtube on disassembly and reassembly.
lol I’m not scared I just should have taken it apart already when it was out of the truck when I did the rear main and I don’t want to take it out again

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol I’m not scared I just should have taken it apart already when it was out of the truck when I did the rear main and I don’t want to take it out again
They are really scary when they lock up and chuck the chain out the side of the case. Even scarier when they try to rip the backend off your tranny. The bill for both scenarios aint pretty. The typical noisemakers in a Tcase are the chain stretched and rubbing the case and a bearing/race going to see the gods.

OP
OP
T

Tf79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They are really scary when they lock up and chuck the chain out the side of the case. Even scarier when they try to rip the backend off your tranny. The bill for both scenarios aint pretty. The typical noisemakers in a Tcase are the chain stretched and rubbing the case and a bearing/race going to see the gods.
The sound I posted, does that sound like the tcase? I haven’t found any other issues the only thing I could think of was the tcase internally

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NashRed