HELP - Intermittent Electrical Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oh four Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

My Tahoe completely shut off on me while driving the other day. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and it started right back up. Now from time to time it will start up slow and then when it starts the right side of the dash board doesn’t work. The AC and power windows don’t work and my back up camera stays on. The dome lights also stay on during this time.I have to disconnect the battery multiple times and then it will work for a few days and then happen again. Do I need a new battery? Ground wire? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_9786.png
    IMG_9786.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9789.png
    IMG_9789.png
    1 MB · Views: 3

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Define "start up slow." Slow crank (turning over)? Good crank but long crank before it fires up and runs? Runs like crap initially but smooths out within a minute or so?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What @TollKeeper said but let's start with the basics. How old is the battery? Dirty, loose, corroded battery connections/cable ends? Condition of the battery? Charges ok and stands up to a load test? After charging, test voltage and should hold/be at, at least, 12.6 to 12.8 volts and then load test.

OP
OP
O

Oh four Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Define "start up slow." Slow crank (turning over)? Good crank but long crank before it fires up and runs? Runs like crap initially but smooths out within a minute or so?
Slow cranks and then fires up. If it does the slow crank then it will do all the things stayed above. If it starts up normal everything will run great.

OP
OP
O

Oh four Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What @TollKeeper said but let's start with the basics. How old is the battery? Dirty, loose, corroded battery connections/cable ends? Condition of the battery? Charges ok and stands up to a load test? After charging, test voltage and should hold/be at, at least, 12.6 to 12.8 volts and then load test.
Battery is 4 years old. Clean cable ends. Battery condition is good but 4 years old. Just noticed with everything running and holding the window switches up the batter drops significantly

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Battery is 4 years old. Clean cable ends. Battery condition is good but 4 years old. Just noticed with everything running and holding the window switches up the batter drops significantly
How do you know battery condition is good? Did you open up the cable insulation, close to the cable ends and look for corrosion?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let me see if I understand this:

At times the engine cranks (turns) over at a good speed, then it fires up and runs.
Other times the crank speed is slow, then it takes a longer cranking time to fire up and run. Does that describe it?

I would suggest disconnecting the battery, using a good battery charger on it, then having it load tested. The battery is old enough to be suspect and the symptoms point to a dead or compromised internal cell, bad battery cables, or both.

And as @OR VietVet noted, the battery cables can rot from the inside out, but can look fine on the ends.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
voltage drop test to starter 10.5v is no good

ground test to starter

if both pass then probably fried starter
pull it and bench test, but that would have no load so ??? might not show symptoms
but there is really no reason for a slow crank if voltage and ground is solid, the starter is it's own beast unless the motor is seizing up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmds3