Help me with a budget build!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Warning: I was into building a few systems when I was younger, but that was a decade and a few years ago. I remember BEFORE there was such a thing as Punch audio. I haven't even so much as looked at an amp or speaker since then, though.

I'm looking to not throw a lot of money in this, but I'll spend what I have to.

Here's what I'm thinking: my wife purchased a Kenwood head unit and had it installed in my Hoe to replace my stocker, and it came with free replacements in the front doors. That leaves the rear doors and roof panel speakers in the back to me. It looks like I can cut the roof deck to fit 6x9s, which I intend to do, and hopefully, I'll get better sound than the 4x10s.

Next, I want a little bass. I don't need to shake the houses, but I want it to sound pretty good. More importantly, it needs to be out of my way! I have no rear A/C, so that should leave the area behind the passenger side rear cargo panel empty, right? Do you think I could fit a 10 in a sealed box behind there and cut a hole in the panel for the speaker? Could the amp fit in the same area? It looks pretty tight in there. Is there a sub that would fit and function in box small enough to be back there?

X3N0N

Reaction score
I would go with the 6x9s for, as for the bass, one 10 is the perfect amount imo. For subwoofers I personally am a MTX fan or my second pick would be Rockford. For amp I always go with a MTX amp. As for the box, I actually just finished my build the other day. Not hidden but out of the way, leaving same space as before.

IMG_03311.jpg

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
do you fold down the rear seats a lot? Thats the best place for a sub and amp combo and for it all to be hidden. I also love using my cargo shade so kevins box wouldn't work for me. IM a big fan of JL and kicker, on the pricy side, but you get what you pay for.

heres a few pictures ive found over the years that i use for reference.

OP
OP
Vanilla Gorilla
Reaction score
Agreed. I used the sunshade to cover up my guns and crap like that from prying eyes. Unfortunately, I have to keep my rear seat in its proper position. I'm too tall to sit in the driver's seat with the rears flipped forward.

I think I might have to bite the bullet and spring for the Q-logic rear door panel for a 10 in the back. Maybe mount the amp to the floor in the front of the cargo area out of the way. Probably have to rig a fan if I put it under the seat.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

It's a bit spendy, but this seems like exactly what I'd want, too:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R6005/Rockford-Fosgate-Prime-R600-5.html?tp=35808

Power my fronts and rears, as well as a sub. Or is 2 separate amps a better way to go?

Edit: This f'n truck is going to break me. Again. :(

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I use this in my setup below and got it for less then $300 on eBay. Very small foot print and class d on all channels. I also use an under back seat box that hold two 10"s(more than enough when the music is engineered right) with the amp under pass seat. I don't intend on putting the rear seats down at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vanilla Gorilla
Reaction score
So the box shown above is actually small enough to mount 2 10s under the seat and leave it upright? I thought AtomicHoe094 meant that the seats did not sit right with it there.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
no no the seats will close down with the box there, they seats just dont lay 100 percent flat since that box is there. if you know what i mean.. I was kinda confused when you said that..

But yea, mount a 10" and the amps or get a 5channel AMP and be done with it.

No need for fans if you leave the top open. If its completely closed up id have a few fans going.

SamoanYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like you I've been out of the audio game for many years (my ears are old). May I suggest for bass, use SAS bazookas. They even have amplified ones too and are easy to instal. Just a thought.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
or...son has one, wow!!!
11PECVR12gallery.jpg

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can easily mount the amp(s) under the passenger's seat, or under the rear seats, lots of room to do either.

Also, plenty of room to put a 10", 12" or even a 15" sub in the rear corners - I've got a Celestion 15" in each rear corner, enclosure comes right up even with the window line. I've also got (2) 10" Powerbass subs in a custom center console between the front seats, firing down. I've got my (3) amps mounted under the console, as well as a 1 farad cap and distribution block.

As far as legroom/headroom.... I'm 6'7, and fabbed brackets to move the seats back 1 1/2", as well as closer to the doors by 1 1/2", giving myself 3" more space between the seats. Even with the seats slid all the way back, the rear seats fold down fine, I just removed the rear headrests.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968