Helper Spring/Add-a-leaf advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoodmanOX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 1999 tahoe with stock suspension. The back end is starting to sag a little, and I'm wondering how to fix it. Rebend the springs? Install new ones? Install helper springs? Thanks.

TahoeJim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a truck spring shop add an extra leaf. They cut the old u bolts off, added the leaf right beneath the main spring and bolted it all back together with new bolts. Rear end sits 1-1/8" higher. With 320 pounds tongue weight, the back end only drops 5/8". Ride quality is unaffected, actually, the truck is more stable and planted overall now. Cost me $150 and it took them less than an hour.

OP
OP
G

GoodmanOX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't want to do blocks. I think they're ghetto and don't like axle wrap. Considering an add a lear, but I'm leaning toward a helper spring. Any suggestions on a specific model. Heard that helwig makes good stuff, but which one?

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a truck spring shop add an extra leaf. They cut the old u bolts off, added the leaf right beneath the main spring and bolted it all back together with new bolts. Rear end sits 1-1/8" higher. With 320 pounds tongue weight, the back end only drops 5/8". Ride quality is unaffected, actually, the truck is more stable and planted overall now. Cost me $150 and it took them less than an hour.

Did the same thing with mine, but did 3 extra leaves. Slipped one between each stock leaf, cut to match the same progression of length. Brought my ass end up about 3". Agree with you 100% and more, I have noticeably less sway now than I did prior to lifting it. I still need to get longer shocks though, the existing ones won't let the suspension droop all the way.

riviera rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the same thing with mine, but did 3 extra leaves. Slipped one between each stock leaf, cut to match the same progression of length. Brought my ass end up about 3". Agree with you 100% and more, I have noticeably less sway now than I did prior to lifting it. I still need to get longer shocks though, the existing ones won't let the suspension droop all the way.

why wouldnt you just get new springs instead of adding some to the old ones? the new springs are only 250$ or around there

thats what im going to do just get new ones and swap em out

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GoodmanOX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I order new springs, I was thinking of getting bigger ones, and cranking the torsion bar up front a little. I only want about an inch of lift, but i want it level front and rear. Will this work, or am i making stuff up? Also, where is a good place to get springs?

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
992dr... is that you Tigwldr? Was wondering when you were gonna get around to installing those springs. LOL

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, yup its me :)
I'm hoping in the next few weeks, maybe sooner, depends on the weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate