HID lights...For dummies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kravitzgirl84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking for a set of HID lights for my 02 tahoe. Ive found a couple kits on ebay. Do i need a both low and high beam kit? Kind of confused what a bi-xenon kit is also.Anyone had good experiences with HIDs? is 6000k or 8000k give off more light? Thanks for any pointers!

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't get an ebay kit. They don't last. Pony up the doe and get a good kit. I bought mine from theretrofitsourse.com and they are awesome.

If you want the most light get a 4500K or 5000K. I have the 5000K kit and they are pure white.

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
I agree I would not get a ebay kit. They HID kits are easy to hook up plug and play. 5K is great I prefer a 6K just a hint of blue . Both my Tahoe and the wife's have lows highs and fogs / driving lights..

Remember the higher the kelvin does not mean its brighter it just means there is gonna be more color and different color. Which means you will see less!

Do you have aftermarket housings?

02 Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed stay with 4k - 5k, the most usable light output is in that range and the higher you go the less usable light you get. I dont know where you are located but i have been using my HIDs for well over a year now from hidmasters.com, they are located in huntington beach, California(Lifetime warranty). Of course there are a ton of sites and local shops so check around. NO EBAY:Nonono: With local shops and online retailers they usually have a warranty unlike fleebay. Good Luck!

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
Depo projectors ftw! Retrofit FTMFW! 4300K OEM all day the best. A good projector or modded shield will give you the blue (z-tail it for reds, yellows, greens, blues and purples :favorites37: ) at the cutoff. Blue lights look brightest, but all a mind-eye f@ck.

mike_szam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Between 5-6k will be the brightest the higher you go more blue is added which dulls it down a bit. Also use a gen 4 ballast to stop radio interference

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ne44035