How do I identify what alternator I have in a '04 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

talkyukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Yukon Denali 6.0 and it has an Delphi alternator I believe stock OEM and I can't tell if it's 105 or 135 amp alternator.

How do I identify what size I have so I can get the right alternator I ordered a 105 amp alternator from Amazon it's the AC Delco Gold but I'm not sure if it's going to fit. The alternator is having bearing noises but it works so I was going to replace it because of all the noise the bearing makes.

I want to make sure it fits the the belt size that's already in there cuz the belt is still good

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Yukon Denali 6.0 and it has an AC Delco alternator I believe stock OEM and I can't tell if it's 105 or 135 amp alternator.

How do I identify what size I have so I can get the right alternator I ordered a 105 amp alternator from Amazon it's the AC Delco Gold but I'm not sure if it's going to fit. The alternator is having bearing noises but it works so I was going to replace it because of all the noise the bearing makes
unless you are running some aftermarket lights/amp, etc then it doesn't "really" matter. 105a is the lowest one you can effectively use. 145a or 160a would be better.
you can always go up without any issue, wiring, fuses, relays are all the same regardless. the most important part isgetting one with the correct harness connector it will either be a
2 pin or a 4 pin. 2004 is a year that could have either one

justirv

Reaction score
unless you are running some aftermarket lights/amp, etc then it doesn't "really" matter. 105a is the lowest one you can effectively use. 145a or 160a would be better.
you can always go up without any issue, wiring, fuses, relays are all the same regardless. the most important part isgetting one with the correct harness connector it will either be a
2 pin or a 4 pin. 2004 is a year that could have either one
I agree that you can go up in alternator amperage with no issue, to a point. 145A-160A is a good stock upgrade and will drop in. If you go "big" (200A +) due to dual batts, big stereo, etc., its always a good idea to increase your conductors (cable), and fusible link size. It's also a good time to do the Big 3 (or 4) grounding upgrade. Also, I'm always cautious with "GM" purchases from AMZ. I prefer other vendors such as Rockauto for authenticity.

OP
OP
T

talkyukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Yukon Denali 6.0 and it has an Delphi alternator I believe stock OEM and I can't tell if it's 105 or 135 amp alternator.

How do I identify what size I have so I can get the right alternator I ordered a 105 amp alternator from Amazon it's the AC Delco Gold but I'm not sure if it's going to fit. The alternator is having bearing noises but it works so I was going to replace it because of all the noise the bearing makes.

I want to make sure it fits the the belt size that's already in there cuz the belt is still good
I figured it out.
There is a serial number and a stamp that says 145amp on it on the alternator
So its a bosche delphi 145 amp alternator

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that you can go up in alternator amperage with no issue, to a point. 145A-160A is a good stock upgrade and will drop in. If you go "big" (200A +) due to dual batts, big stereo, etc., its always a good idea to increase your conductors (cable), and fusible link size. It's also a good time to do the Big 3 (or 4) grounding upgrade. Also, I'm always cautious with "GM" purchases from AMZ. I prefer other vendors such as Rockauto for authenticity.
*do not ever increase the fusible link
why? because the fusible link is built to prevent everything behind it from burning up, increase the link and you risk destroying modules, wiring, as well as a risk of fire.
upgrading the charge cable is standard

i should add that simply increasing the alternator amperage does not increase how many amps the vehicle will use, the extra amps just makes it a lighter load on the alternator.
any external/aftermarket equipment requiring more power should be wired separately with it's own wire and fuse's, relays, etc i.e. amps, high power lighting, cb, ham, etc

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Queen_313

Latest posts