How happy are you with your 2021/22 Tahoe/Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats to your nice truck! Sounds actually very good. What's the impacted engine build date? I thought all do have it sooner or later. No? Is there only a specific build period that one should avoid?
There has been much discussion about the build dates, but these and similar GM V8's have been dumping lifters for almost 15 years. The only common thread seems to be the skip cylinder flavor used at the time of build. Doesn't happen to all vehicles, but a few will eventually fail. I had an L76 that had AFM with no issues for 100K. Others had less than 10K and had failures. In short no matter when it's built, lifter issues may happen as long as they use lifters that have to turn themselves off and on. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I wanted the DMax (for mileage more than durability), but if that hadn't been an option, I'd have the 6.2 in my Denali.

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a loaded up 21’ premier. Ride is smooth, quiet, 5.3 V8 is nicer compared to my 19 Silverado. We got it end of may 2021, have almost 11,000 miles on it now and no major ssues so far. One problem so far the volume cut out on rear media and we took it in, they played with it got it working and ordered us a new screen which we have not received yet, this was September 1. We love it, get tons of compliments. My single complaint is not being able to control rear media from front screen when parked, that’s it. It was a nice upgrade coming from a 18’ Tahoe LT.

Last edited:

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
personally I would wait until at least next years model, both the 21 & 22 are essentially new year models because of all the changes, there still making fixes, both mechanical and software wise. not saying it's a bad vehicle but in the next year or two they hopefully should have many of the bugs worked out better. there are chip shortages and part shortages and chingchong just shut a whole bunch of stuff down again so there is no relief to be seen in the short term.
+1. I'm waiting it out and would consider a 2023 or 2024 model. The 2024 may be a mid cycle refresh as well.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you should wait for a 2023.

I have put a total of 27,000 miles on my 21 Yukon's and believe I was the first customer in my region. For what it's worth, my first 21 SLT Yukon had every option and was a lemon. I actually filed a lemon law claim and GM settled. Traded that one in for another 21 Yukon AT4 and it has been much better. It still has some creaks and rattles with the interior, but not excessive like my first. It also has the same issue with the rear hatch kick projector light. (The GMC emblem on the grpund). They seem to wear off and fade away. It was an easy warranty replacement on my first and I will mention it during next service. I'm not a fan of the transmission or the 5.3. Lacks power in my opinion and transmission sucks in stop/go traffic. There is also a strange intermittent tapping sound in the rear that I think is related to HVAC. It sounds like a blend door actuator. Had a 2016 Expedition that made similar noise.
My AT4 has been pretty lucky with recalls. None yet and the build date is not included with lifter dates.
These trucks do look good and have lots of room. However, if your current truck is running perfect, then you should hold out a little longer. These should get more reliable and you may even get all the options you want...

Big John

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Would love to hear how happy (or unhappy) you guys are with your truck.
What's your experience so far?

I'm looking for one of the 2 but I'm concerned since I read all the negative reviews on edmunds.com and other places about all the flaws like lifter issues, misfired engines, etc.

Would love to understand how common these issues are. I'm driving a 2017 5.3 Yukon SLT and it just runs perfect.
However, I really in love with the new models and so I'm considering an upgrade.

That being said, I would just HATE to be in the shop or have the truck there sitting all the time because of any annoying issues, recalls, part availability, etc.

So... what's the truth here?
Very happy, we have a 2021 premier, build date march ,zero problems so far, it’s also loaded with every option except air shocks.

Duke71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 22 Yukon SLT with Premium package. Have about 1k miles in about 3 weeks. Love the smooth, quiet ride (with just standard suspension) and 5.3L has enough power for me, but I don’t push it because I’m trying to get my Mpgs up there . Averaging in the 16/17 mpg range with mixed driving.

I’m really happy with it - I do find the infotainment to be a little clunky compared to Ford( came from Explorer and hubby has an F250). Also wish I got black interior because the floor liners I want from GMC are out of stock and I need brown, so not everyone makes those.

But overall I’ve been happy!

jimgeb

Reaction score
I've been very happy so far with my 2022 Premier which was ordered in September 2021 and delivered in November 2021. So far not one problem (see me knocking on wood). Best driving Tahoe since my 2005 and 2015 models.

PaulGA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m really enjoying mine. I look forward to driving it all the time.

I’m about 650 miles into my ‘22 Yukon Denali, 4WD, Premium Package, Advanced Compatibility package (essentially Reserve Package but before they called it that) and it’ll be a month on Wednesday.

I was hoping to get lucky to get one without auto start/stop but now I have to remember to press a button all the time. Not a big deal at all.

I did get ”lucky” and got a power console, I only used it the day I got it to play around with it, but to be fair I still have been lazy to move stuff from my old truck into this one.

I’ve only had one infotainment hiccup, the volume controls were wonky and when music was playing, the knob changed the navigation volume, when the nav spoke I had a few seconds to turn the knob to get the music volume to change. That was one time and went away when I restarted the car.

If you can find one on the lot or in transit that you like and isn’t a crazy deal, I’d say you really can’t go wrong with the ‘22. Ordering for the ‘23 should open up over the summer and you’d be looking at October/November-ish for them to hit the dealers.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8k miles on the Dmax. Prob 3500 of that on road trips. Runs superbly, excellent mileage. Powerful AC, comfortable air ride, Excellent cameras, Room galore, only one issue "Service restraint system" which was handled well by an out of town dealer. Not missing any chips or options. Paid MSRP with no wacky add ons.. RSE does everything we want + Mirrors our phones and iPad. 600+ mile range, best road trip vehicle I've ever had. Super pleased overall....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottLady