How to change your Upper intermediary steering shaft ("clunk" noise) (2003 Tahoe)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
How to change your Upper intermediate steering shaft ("clunk" noise) (2003 Tahoe)

**Warning**
Since you're known worldwide to sue people or company faster that the speed of light, I warn you : don't try this at home. Information purpose only. :)

I did have this "clunk" noise since I bought my truck.
Since European Chevrelot Dealership does not want to help the buyer of a non-officially imported Chevy Tahoe, I checked out on the internet to find out what was going on. I buy the part on Rockauto.com. It's a Dorman part.

img0135rt.jpg

Remove the lower screw, remove the upper screw, pull it forn the inside.
Seems easy even for DIY beginner.

First bolt to undo :
img0136qo.jpg

There is a bold retainer. Only one bracket is necessary to release the screw there.

Loosen the bold. It's metric. 15mm.
img0140cb.jpg

img0141e.jpg

img0142ef.jpg

Go under the dash:
Behind the pedals you can see the upper head of the shaft (with the white X). The bolt is just above it.
img0137g.jpg

It's better with the flash:
img0138me.jpg

img0143fp.jpg

See the retainer? Nice thought when engineered! :rocking:
Remove it too.

When starting to work, be sure the wheels are fully centered. Sadly It may means the bolt under the dash to be not in the perfect position. It doesn't matter.
release the lower end of the shaft from the lower intermediary shaft so it can rotate freely, then turn the steering wheel until you have good access to the bold.

img0144yv.jpg

img0146eh.jpg

img0147bj.jpg

Use your finger to push toward the firewall to release it from the steering wheel assembly:
img0148se.jpg

img0149ny.jpg

If not done before, disconnect it from the lower shaft:
img0150kv.jpg

remove the shaft from the inside:
img0151kx.jpg

Old and new:
img0152bx.jpg

The new shaft is hard to extend when the old one come and go freely.

The firewall hole through which will pass the new shaft.
img0153mu.jpg

Put the new shaft through the firwall: connect it to the lower shaft.
Then, come back inside, extend it and connect it to the sw (steering wheel).
I've read that the sw must not be rotated during process otherwise the wheel and steering wouldn't be synchronised: that's BS!

There's only two position. If the sw is upside down, it means you choosen the wrong one. lol
If that's the case, remove the bold, rotate the sw half turn (whatever CW or CCW) and re-bold it.

Check all bolds are tighten as they should be and don't forget to use a small amount of Loctite 243 Threadlocker on bold threads.
img0170yml.jpg

Enjoy your new truck.

Last edited:

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice write-up. Great pics. One thing you should remember about the steering wheel--don't let it go all the way around - can wreck the clock spring and there goes all your steering wheel controls.....

mattvand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '03 Z71 has the adjustable pedals and there was no way I was getting the old shaft out without removing the accelerator pedal. GM calls for this in their service manual as well.

Simple in theory, but the upper pedal bracket bolt is a pain to get to if you don't have offset wrenches. After removing the pedal position sensor harness I loosened the lower bracket bolt so I could get a little wiggle room. Used a 1/4" drive 10mm (iirc) with 2 6" extensions so I could get a close to straight bite on the upper bracket bolt.

OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
My '03 Z71 has the adjustable pedals and there was no way I was getting the old shaft out without removing the accelerator pedal. GM calls for this in their service manual as well.

Well, I didn't know about the GM service manual that's why I did it without removing anything. :laughing1:
BTW I'm interresting by any documents about the Hoe.

mattvand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the text from the GM manual:

Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement
Tools Required
J 42640 Steering Column Anti-Rotation Pin

Removal Procedure

Notice: The wheels of the vehicle must be straight ahead and the steering column in the LOCK position before disconnecting the steering column or intermediate shaft from the steering gear. Failure to do so will cause the SIR coil assembly to become uncentered, which may cause damage to the coil assembly.

Install the J 42640 in the steering column lower access hole.
Important: Mark the relationship of the intermediate shaft components in order to assure proper installation.

Mark the relationships of the following components:
• Mark the relationship of the bolt and clamp at both ends of the upper intermediate shaft.

• Mark the relationship of the upper intermediate shaft to the lower intermediate shaft.

Remove the nut and bolt (1) from the upper shaft (2) to steering column connection.

Slide the intermediate shaft down, out of the steering column connection.

Remove the accelerator pedal position sensor. Refer to Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Replacement or Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Replacement .

Slide the upper intermediate shaft towards the instrument panel, out of the lower intermediate shaft, and remove the shaft from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Important: If you are installing the same shaft, align the marks and the relationship of the bolt and clamp made during the removal procedure.

Install the lower end of the upper intermediate shaft through the bulkhead, into the lower shaft.

Install the upper end of the upper intermediate shaft (2) to the steering column.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Install the bolt and nut (1) at the connection of the upper intermediate shaft to the steering column.

Tighten the nut to 62 N·m (46 lb ft).

Install the accelerator pedal position sensor. Refer to Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Replacement or Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Replacement .

Install the bolt and nut at the connection of the upper intermediate shaft to the lower intermediate shaft.
Tighten
Tighten the nut to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

Remove the J 42640 from the steering column lower access hole.

I was wrong, it doesn't call to remove the pedal, just the sensor (so you don't snag it). I took it off and made it a lot easier, I will say.

Last edited:

scot w.

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I happen to have this same annoying clunk in my 04 Tahoe... Great write up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBRKPRO