How to disable factory sub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
02Z71

02Z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thought I would update, I removed the plastic lining on the kicker CRV8 and it fit the factory box perfectly. All I had to do was drill new holes into the box and found some random screws around the house. I then wired the dual 4ohm voice coils in parallel and plugged her in to the factory amp. I was very surprised to turn on the radio and here lots of bass. It does not hit hard but I am sure the factory amp is not pushing many watts. Any way here are some pics of the speaker behind the panel.

Sub2.jpg

Sub1.jpg

OP
OP
02Z71

02Z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not yet, had to do all the door speakers and the factory sub first. Every single speaker in the car was dry rotted and it sounded awful.

sparks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dang i wish you had got some pics of the sub in the enclosure before you put it back in. i may change mine to the same sub, looks legit. i wonder what kind of increase over the factory sub it gives - if any?

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

also, why did u put it in sideways insted of straight so you can read the "k"??

just giving u a hard time haha

OP
OP
02Z71

02Z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All I did was remove the plastic piece that goes around the kicker sub. It's the plastic rim that says kicker all over it. And the sub fit perfectly into the stock enclosure. The reason for sub being sideways is because The stock speaker wire is not very long. I never heard the stock sub work correctly but I can guarantee it did not sound as good as this one. It doesn't quite compare to a "10 because it doesn't hit hard, but it really completes the sound if using just the stock amp and factory head unit to push your speakers.

Oh and by the way I am from Oldsmar Fl, Born and raised. My whole family still lives there.

Last edited:

sparks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im a transplant to fl, but im glad i made the move!

i think i may give mine the ol' swap-a-roo and see what it does. its a relatively inexpensive mod.

---------- Post added at 01:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

any chance you could check the impedance of the old sub you took out? im curious wha tthe factory amp wants to see impedance wise for that sub.