How to disable factory sub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just put in new speakers in the doors today, but my sound is being ruined by the blown sub in the back. I want to know if there is a easy way to disable this thing without removing rear panels. 02 Tahoe without Bose, still using factory HU. I plan to replace the sub at a later date, but I want it turned off for now.

If i was to just unplug the factory amp behind glovebox, what would Happen?

Last edited:

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd lose all your sound, it's what's driving the other speakers as well. Here's my install.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41724
We popped the trim across the top of the inside of the rear hatch and to be honest, I forget what other things he popped (most just clip in place), there may have been a screw or two, I honestly don't remember, what we did though was work until we could pull that side trim panel out, some but not all the way, to get to the factory sub, then just cut the wires going into it. It really wasn't that big of a hassle to get to and much easier than figuring out which wire goes into and comes out of the factory amp to the sub.

OP
OP
02Z71

02Z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ah ok, thanks for the Info. I plan to add a sub down the road, but the wife is tight on the wallet lately....

sparks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im thinking there is a connector on the sub enclosure you can unplug, but again you have to open up the panels to get to it. im just not a fan of cutting something if there is a disconnect a few inches further down the line.

another option would be to nip the wires close to the amp...same concept just at the other end. for the record i have no clue where the amp is so i dont know which way would be easier....

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im thinking there is a connector on the sub enclosure you can unplug, but again you have to open up the panels to get to it. im just not a fan of cutting something if there is a disconnect a few inches further down the line.

another option would be to nip the wires close to the amp...same concept just at the other end. for the record i have no clue where the amp is so i dont know which way would be easier....

Agreed. I actually wasn't watching close while my friend disconnected it, I think he just snipped it but if there's a plug that's easy to get to at that point, yeah, just unplug it. As for finding the wire at the amp, in my 2,000 the amp is behind the glove compartment, easy to see. I looked in the schematics in my basic Chilton's manual and it doesn't include a sub in the stereo wiring diagram so I'm thinking it would be a huge pain trying to figure out which wire went to the sub short of pulling the side trim panel and actually looking,and at that point you just as well tackle it right there rather than look for the same color up at the amp.
Good luck.

OP
OP
02Z71

02Z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I bought a 8" kicker crv8 and tried to fit it in the enclosure, but as some of you probably already figured out it doesn't just it right in. So I am just weighing my options right now. Any ideas, considering building a custom box, but not sure the best way to mount it.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I bought a 8" kicker crv8 and tried to fit it in the enclosure, but as some of you probably already figured out it doesn't just it right in. So I am just weighing my options right now. Any ideas, considering building a custom box, but not sure the best way to mount it.

Did you follow the link in my above post to see what I did?

OP
OP
02Z71

02Z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I saw what you did, but I use the back of my truck a lot, (reason why i bought a Tahoe)
I like to be able to haul things, and don't want a sub box getting in the way all the time. Plus, I am going to be using the stock amp to push the sub as well so going any bigger than an 8 wont do me any good anyway.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's cool. I use mine too, if it's groceries I just pile the bags on top, if it something else I'll just take it out, that's why we wired it with the connection box for easy removal.
Does the factory sub still work and you just thought you'd upgrade or is it blown? If it still works and you have the receipt I'd take the Kicker back. I read in a thread in here somewhere that a guy replaced the stock sub with an aftermarket sub and it actually sounded worse. These factory componants may not be the best, but they are very well matched with each other and matched to the truck. My friend that I bought my system from and that did the install (he's been doing it for over 25 years) is of the opinion that any gains you would get from just replacing the factory sub with another 8" won't be worth the money and you're better off either sticking with what you've got or going bigger. Of course I also know what opinions are like so take it for what it's worth. To each his own, you've got to be happy with it, I'm happy with my set up but it obviously won't work for you. Hope you get it worked out.

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Here's another thread, if the guy ever posts up with some pics it might give you some other ideas.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42003

OP
OP
02Z71

02Z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am only doing this to replace the factory sub because it was dry rotted. The cone was completely separated from the rim of the speaker. It was making the most awful noise. I bought a sub that is 2ohm so as long as it gives me a little bass ill be happy. Because without a sub back there, all I get are mids and highs from the doors. Due to tight budget, I wont be adding any aftermarket amps for awhile. On a side note, I just bought this truck and no telling what could go wrong in near future, and I will def have to get the rotars resurfaced and new pads, cause brakes are squealing a bit. Thanks for all the links, I am learning a bunch with this site, a lot of knowledgeable people here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968