How to fix side mirror controller?

Are you having this issue too?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigfish92084

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are tons of info on replacing but I just want to fix the existing.
The up, down, left and right control that adjusts the side mirrors are not operating smoothly. I need to mess around with them and only sometimes do they respond. Is there an easy fix for this? My first thought is the contact points are dirty and need cleaning. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

gdddup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it would be cool to see if there is a easy cheap fix besides replacing the switch. mine works on all positions except the upward motion.

Goldcuffs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've taken mine apart before for this very reason and cleaned the contacts and its worked fine ever since. the last one I did it to was an 01 Silverado and it was a pretty simple switch internally. Next time I do it I'll take pictures and explain.

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. Most of that stuff isn't really serviceable so thats good to know. What did you do- just clean the contacts or pull one back up?

Goldcuffs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yes, just cleaned with a fine sand paper and reassembled with a very light layer of die-electric grease

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, just cleaned with a fine sand paper and reassembled with a very light layer of die-electric grease

I did mine this morning. Took about 10 minutes, switch works in all directions now. Thanks for the heads up about it being serviceable- that saved me $50.

Xav8r

Reaction score
I'll admit it ... I'm being lazy ... plus it's cold outside, so I'll ask ...

How did you guys get the switch cover off? Do you have to take the door apart, or do you just pop it up with a blade?

Thanks

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll admit it ... I'm being lazy ... plus it's cold outside, so I'll ask ...

How did you guys get the switch cover off? Do you have to take the door apart, or do you just pop it up with a blade?

Thanks

The door trim piece that houses the window and mirror switches pops up- gently pry on the side away from the door panel and it'll come up. Then unplug the wiring harness from the mirror switch and gently pry it out. The switch comes apart the same way. I used a small screwdriver to gently pull the housings away from the tabs keeping everything together.

The whole damn interior is snap together......

dougk109

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just did mine yesterday. Just as everyone says. Only tools you need is a smaller flat blade screwdriver, Q-tip, and isopropyl alcohol. Take switch apart, there are no small pieces to loose, clean contacts on board and under switch with Q-tip soaked in alcohol, reassemble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts