how to know if my tahoe is tuned?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
hey guys, i picked up an 01 tahoe in october of last year with 135xxx. i bought it completely stock all it had was an auburn locker and 373s. since then ive put an intake and an exhaust and electric fans. the truck is unusually quick/fast. i know the gearing with stock size tires would help acceleration a little bit but i know thats not it. im thinking maybe the guy i bought it from threw a tune on it and was afraid to tell me. how can i tell if this truck has a tune or not? the thing is the truck aslo has a misfire and even still its quick. ive ran other new tuned 5.3s and i still beat them. im just curious as to why this thing is a sleeper. thanks!

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your gearing and lack of mech fan are what's making the truck seem so fast. You've reduced a lot of drag by doing both mods. intake/exhaust prob not hurting you. If your truck will hit triple digits...its tuned.

sticks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
your gearing and lack of mech fan are what's making the truck seem so fast. You've reduced a lot of drag by doing both mods. intake/exhaust prob not hurting you. If your truck will hit triple digits...its tuned.

Really? Mine can do 110. It's ******* the engine obviously, but it'll do it without a tune.

plush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, e-fans, another thing to go look for.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? Mine can do 110. It's ******* the engine obviously, but it'll do it without a tune.

Mine had a speed limiter of 95mph stock. You sure you not tuned lol. I would imagine even a handheld can get rid of the limiter.

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
true i didnt even think of that, mine still has the limiter. its just weird to think that efans actually do make that much of a different. at first, right when i did the fans, i didnt notice much of a difference. but now, a month later, there is a pretty good increase in power all over the board. hmm well then i guess a tune will wake it up even more.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
true i didnt even think of that, mine still has the limiter. its just weird to think that efans actually do make that much of a different. at first, right when i did the fans, i didnt notice much of a difference. but now, a month later, there is a pretty good increase in power all over the board. hmm well then i guess a tune will wake it up even more.

What you will find after a tune is the 5.3 actually likes to rev and if you go with the 93 octane tune from BB you will be able to add more timing and really see what your truck can do in the higher rpms. I can do 110mph with ease and the motor doesn't feel like its struggling. You can also eliminate engine torque management and reduce trans torque management and really open it up. I'm not running any TM at this time but you want to make sure your trans can handle it.

looks like your future plans with a tune will really turn your HOE into a beast. 6ltr is definitely something I'm doing in the future.

sticks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine had a speed limiter of 95mph stock. You sure you not tuned lol. I would imagine even a handheld can get rid of the limiter.

Sorry, guess I need to work out reply notifications. I just saw your comment.

My guess is it has no limiter since it's a police package. Still needs a tune.

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
What you will find after a tune is the 5.3 actually likes to rev and if you go with the 93 octane tune from BB you will be able to add more timing and really see what your truck can do in the higher rpms. I can do 110mph with ease and the motor doesn't feel like its struggling. You can also eliminate engine torque management and reduce trans torque management and really open it up. I'm not running any TM at this time but you want to make sure your trans can handle it.

looks like your future plans with a tune will really turn your HOE into a beast. 6ltr is definitely something I'm doing in the future.

Black bear tune FTW!! read my sig i got my info on it there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts