Humming noise when tightly turning steering wheel, only during cold start and go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He said while making a turn, meaning while driving. It will not make the noise hitting still or once the differential warms up.

Slambert0620

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2021 is currently at the dealer. They heard it and felt it but haven’t found the cause yet.
I have a 21 tahoe and mine is doing the same. Like a rubbing noise when turning when it's cold/first start my car. Any luck with a diagnosis?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He said while making a turn, meaning while driving. It will not make the noise hitting still or once the differential warms up.
must be a T2 thing, I have had front differentials for 25+ years (multiple GM vehicles) and only had 1 make noise when 4wd was "engaged" and moving any direction, regardless of temperature.

Chris01234567

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine still at dealer. They called this am and told me the noise was related to the rear differential - but still digging before giving a full update. Unreal. These trucks are trash.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
must be a T2 thing, I have had front differentials for 25+ years (multiple GM vehicles) and only had 1 make noise when 4wd was "engaged" and moving any direction, regardless of temperature.

Front differentials don’t have limited slip clutches.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Front differentials don’t have limited slip clutches.

he said front I am just trying to clarify. Havent had my rear diff make noise either unless there was a problem. I have broke a few of them and worn out the bearings then they make noises.....
I really don't think the clutches are the problem, but I could be wrong. some of the new stuff coming out are going to be e-lockers front & rear
the metal is paper thin anymore so who knows...

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure everyone of ya'lls trucks have remote start that could prevent this. That being said, if 6 members are having that same issue in this recent of a thread, it may be a widespread issue that's TSB worthy. Definitely make your dealers aware of the issue.

Chris01234567

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure everyone of ya'lls trucks have remote start that could prevent this. That being said, if 6 members are having that same issue in this recent of a thread, it may be a widespread issue that's TSB worthy. Definitely make your dealers aware of the issue.
Hey man, when you say remote start could prevent this, what do you mean? How so? Mine is remote start capable.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man, when you say remote start could prevent this, what do you mean? How so? Mine is remote start capable.
It sounds like everyone is having the issue when embarking immediately following a cold start. You could remote start it 5-10min before leaving and let the engine warm up before driving. If the noise persists, that could help eliminate possible causes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jchavez95

Latest posts