Hurts Taking One Like This

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
New Venture Gear. Can't remember if that's a prior name or one newer than New Process.

EDIT: New Venture is the new name.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so is the green fluid correct then? Would I be better off buying a Remanufactured TC or having this one rebuilt? Any online recommendations?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't use anything other than OE Auto-Trak II fluid. It takes only 2 quarts, and it's blue.

I had mine rebuilt locally and have no online recommendations. I can't even recommend the shop that did mine since they're out of business now. :( But I'd do local again if I found a shop that has been around doing these, and has a good warranty. I want labor included in the warranty.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use anything other than OE Auto-Trak II fluid. It takes only 2 quarts, and it's blue.

I had mine rebuilt locally and have no online recommendations. I can't even recommend the shop that did mine since they're out of business now. :( But I'd do local again if I found a shop that has been around doing these, and has a good warranty. I want labor included in the warranty.
I'll start searching around. I watched the video you attached and noticed the fluid in that one was green too. But, going forward I'll go with what is OEM recommended. Guess I won't really know what the cause of the noise is until it's out and torn apart. But again depends on whether or not this one goes back in or just gets swapped. I'd rather do cams in a Harley right now after seeing that video. LOL! But it's just foreign right now. Anything can be learned.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'll start searching around. I watched the video you attached and noticed the fluid in that one was green too. But, going forward I'll go with what is OEM recommended. Guess I won't really know what the cause of the noise is until it's out and torn apart. But again depends on whether or not this one goes back in or just gets swapped. I'd rather do cams in a Harley right now after seeing that video. LOL! But it's just foreign right now. Anything can be learned.
I've read that rebuilding a transfer case isn't that difficult. I've never done one myself tho. From what I've seen there aren't many moving parts in one. When you do get one, make sure it has the upgraded parts. Not sure if your tc is one that gets the "rub through" situation.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've read that rebuilding a transfer case isn't that difficult. I've never done one myself tho. From what I've seen there aren't many moving parts in one. When you do get one, make sure it has the upgraded parts. Not sure if your tc is one that gets the "rub through" situation.

It is a candidate for pump rub, and that should be protected by the upgraded part. Apparently it hasn't rubbed through since it appears no fluid was leaking from the outside of the case at the common pump rub site. He drained nearly a full 2 quarts. Richard talks about it in the video I posted.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Escalade, the previous owner told me they had just had the transmission rebuilt (90 Day warranty) and if I had any problems to contact him. He also gave me the shop's contact info. I started having torque convertor shudder after a few days. I checked my fluid and coolant was leaking into the transmission. I'm guessing that killed the previous transmission and they didn't realize it. I called the rebuilder and they had disappeared. Fortunately, the guy I bought the Escalade from gave me $300 back.

I spent waaaay to much time and money on ATF flushing that transmission out. I did a few mods and was able to get another year out of the transmission before it burnt up. I knew I was on borrowed time, so I started collecting everything I needed to do a 4L80e swap.

You might want to compare your local rebuilder prices with Monster Transmissions and Mad Dog Transmissions.
Steer clear of Monster at all costs....

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for a local driveline shop for rebuilding your T case...

Its not too terrible to rebuild them I had a NP205 many years back that I did bearings in and slapped it back in. But the chain cases like these new ones take a little work... Its all bolts etc, and probably snap rings if I had to hazard a guess.

Deff sounds like you got a bad Tcase...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968