Hurts Taking One Like This

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and the transfer case is hard. You can’t use a jack, you have to bench press it and it’s about 65-75 lbs I believe. To install it you’ll have to push it under there, then slide in on your back, maneuver it onto your chest and then bench it up until you can get one end resting on the cross member and then maneuver it into place. That might be the hardest part. If you don’t think you can do that, I suggest paying to have it done.
You would definitely kick my ass. I am not even 50 yet and no way i could do that. Not that I haven't done my share of that back in the day. And I'm talking the late '70s Dodge/Chevy truck T-cases, the AWD drive ones that were cast iron. At least a half dozen times. Spent a **** ton of time under cars and trucks. Can't take it anymore unless it is something simple and quick. God bless ya,

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would definitely kick my ass. I am not even 50 yet and no way i could do that. Not that I haven't done my share of that back in the day. And I'm talking the late '70s Dodge/Chevy truck T-cases, the AWD drive ones that were cast iron. At least a half dozen times. Spent a **** ton of time under cars and trucks. Can't take it anymore unless it is something simple and quick. God bless ya,
One of my sons lives nearby. If I can raise the vehicle high enough to get his monstrous but under it he could do it with one arm! He benched 500lbs once!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One of my sons lives nearby. If I can raise the vehicle high enough to get his monstrous but under it he could do it with one arm! He benched 500lbs once!

The NVG 246 weighs about 84 lbs empty. Yours sounds empty....

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be the actuator "searching"? It does stop after maybe 10-20 seconds. In whatever gear you put it in.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was the fluid blue? Those 246 cases take Auto-Trak II fluid, not ATF.

EDIT: if it wasn't blue fluid, check the badge on the TC to verify that it's the NVG 246.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968