Hurts Taking One Like This

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me, my labor is worth a lot more than a couple hundred in parts. I’m not ok with doing things twice or doing them halfway. I figure with the labor I’m saving, part of that money can go into better parts and I’m ahead in more ways than one. Once you’ve pulled that thing out, you won’t want to do it again, believe me. There isn’t a jack made that can get that thing into position so you get to bench press it.
Oh believe me there's nothing I hate more than having to redo something. One and done is my motto. I've gained a lot of knowledge watching YouTube videos and I have a plan. Support the transmission and remove the crossmember. That will allow my motorcycle lift to get in there and drop it straight down. There's one bolt at the top that will need to be cut out since it hits the exhaust header pipe. Then just like we do with the rear axle on our Harley's, flip it and install it backwards. A new one from the hardware store anyway.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you buy any parts.. I would suggest having the case cracked open, and inspected. If the chain, or whatever is making the noise, has chewed thru the case, or ate into the guides, the case might be scrap, and replacement is the only option.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you buy any parts.. I would suggest having the case cracked open, and inspected. If the chain, or whatever is making the noise, has chewed thru the case, or ate into the guides, the case might be scrap, and replacement is the only option.
TollKeeper I agree. In post #79 I mentioned I was going to buy a rear case to have on hand since I am leaning more towards the noise being from the pump knocking. At least then I'll have everything I need and what I don't I can return easily to Amazon. I hate having to wait for parts.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh believe me there's nothing I hate more than having to redo something. One and done is my motto. I've gained a lot of knowledge watching YouTube videos and I have a plan. Support the transmission and remove the crossmember. That will allow my motorcycle lift to get in there and drop it straight down. There's one bolt at the top that will need to be cut out since it hits the exhaust header pipe. Then just like we do with the rear axle on our Harley's, flip it and install it backwards. A new one from the hardware store anyway.
The crossmember doesn’t come out. I’ve done mine 3 times on my 02 Denali. The trans crossmember comes out but that's forward of the TC. There’s no dropping it straight down. A trans jack did me no good, and I have a motorcycle jack and that would have been worse. You’ll see. It’s all arms.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The crossmember doesn’t come out. I’ve done mine 3 times on my 02 Denali. The trans crossmember comes out but that's forward of the TC. There’s no dropping it straight down. A trans jack did me no good, and I have a motorcycle jack and that would have been worse. You’ll see. It’s all arms.
Holy cow, 3 times? Yeah it's the tranny support I saw some guy remove. If I can't use my bike jack with maybe some "dunnage" I'll have to get my son to lower it. (And put it back in) Like I said before, he could probably do it with one hand. He's a beast!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's because of my transmission woes. Its a long story but it involves a supercharger and my mistake of using RTV on the pan gasket twice, both times resulted in major breakage of hard parts. The last time it twisted the output shaft in 2 on a WOT 1-2 shift. I'm AWD so it hooks up. Never ever use RTV on a 4L60 pan gasket- the drain hole for the servos is right at the rail and if they can't drain they don't release. The RTV clogged that hole and they didn't catch it the first time. Both times Performabuilt covered the trans under warranty- and the last time it was a year after it expired. I just had to remove the trans, remove the tail and bell housings, and ship it across the country, then reassemble. :mad:

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's because of my transmission woes. Its a long story but it involves a supercharger and my mistake of using RTV on the pan gasket twice, both times resulted in major breakage of hard parts. The last time it twisted the output shaft in 2 on a WOT 1-2 shift. I'm AWD so it hooks up. Never ever use RTV on a 4L60 pan gasket- the drain hole for the servos is right at the rail and if they can't drain they don't release. The RTV clogged that hole and they didn't catch it the first time. Both times Performabuilt covered the trans under warranty- and the last time it was a year after it expired. I just had to remove the trans, remove the tail and bell housings, and ship it across the country, then reassemble. :mad:
I "liked" this but I really feel sorry for your woes! I liked hearing the story. Have you ever rebuilt the transfer case?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I "liked" this but I really feel sorry for your woes! I liked hearing the story. Have you ever rebuilt the transfer case?
No. I have the NVG149 with the viscous coupling with no electronics. They're pretty bulletproof. Just keep the fluid clean and they last forever.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. I have the NVG149 with the viscous coupling with no electronics. They're pretty bulletproof. Just keep the fluid clean and they last forever.
You know that's the baffling thing about mine. It was full and clean. Just started knocking. The fluid was green though....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968