Hurts Taking One Like This

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys getting old AND deaf sucks. I was getting ready to start pulling the TC and decided I'd give her one last listen. Had the wife inside shifting and do what I told her. I'll be damned if I can be 100% sure it's the TC or the Tranny! I can hear what sounds like rocks, and feel with my hand at the nose of the TC AND the tail shaft of the Tranny! Born losers DO exist, right here! The local shop says $65 to check it out....in two weeks! Really torgued at myself now because I can't tell where it's coming from! Any ideas? All mine right now include massive amounts of bourbon.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A mechanics stethoscope should let you determine by listening to each I would think. Otherwise the only way I know is remove the tc. I imagine the shop is going the listening route.

Fjs0001

Reaction score
I used ratchet scraps wrapped around the frame to make a little hammock for the transfer case. That way I could fail a few times installing it without having to start over again from the ground. The gap between a 4L80e, the gas tank, and other surrounding junk was very small.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A mechanics stethoscope should let you determine by listening to each I would think. Otherwise the only way I know is remove the tc. I imagine the shop is going the listening route.
I just ordered one. Cheap enough from Amazon and I always wanted one anyways. So, now that it's jacked up I'm running more tests. Discovered the ds rear wheel has brake hang! Probably needs a new caliper and maybe hose. This thing is turning into a money pit!

Fjs0001

Reaction score
Can you put all the tires in the air, tranny in neutral, and spin the driveshafts to see if it still makes the noise? I'm not really sure if that would tell you anything or not.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you put all the tires in the air, tranny in neutral, and spin the driveshafts to see if it still makes the noise? I'm not really sure if that would tell you anything or not.
Yeah all wheels off the ground and me spinning them and the shafts makes no noise. However, now I've discovered this brake hang problem. Only does it when it's running. I can put the TC and Trans in neutral and spin the wheel while my wife uses varying pressure on the pedal. Won't lock. But if it's running it will. 2nd time going through the parking brakes and this time I used a gauge so I'm sure it's the caliper or a brake line holding pressure. Won't act the same with just the parking brake. But, it ain't going anywhere for a while....

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a dumb question. And bear in mind I've already started drinkinh.. Can I remove the TC and start the vehicle and run the tranny through the gears? Or will it be throwing fluid like a flash flood?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a dumb question. And bear in mind I've already started drinkinh.. Can I remove the TC and start the vehicle and run the tranny through the gears? Or will it be throwing fluid like a flash flood?
It will be fine. There might be a little that drips out when you initially remove the TC but if there’s a ton then your rear seal on the trans needs to be replaced. Even so, you should be ok to do that. That would tell you if your trans is good or is the culprit of the noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus