HVAC issues, blend/panel actuators don't work.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jfranco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I've been trouble shooting this HVAC issue on a family member's 2002 yukon. Its got the rear HVAC controls, and the "computer controlled" controls upfront. (IE: no resistor module).

The issues started when the blower motor completely died. It didnt do anything funny, just stopped working one day. First thing I replaced was the blower control module (The resistor pack equivalent for the computer controlled climate models?) That made the fan spin, but I couldn't get the actuators for the temperature/panel selectors to do anything; No matter how I turned the knobs, it still blew out of the panels and heat only.

I ended up finding the blend actuator itself, i pulled it out and just spun the blend door by hand. This made the AC blow ice cold, and the heat blow nice and hot depending on how I turned the flapper. But no matter what I do, the damn thing is still stuck on panel, i can't get it to blow from the defroster or the floor vents.

I replaced the fan switches, and this changed nothing. I'm completely at a loss for what to do next. I tested the motor for the blend actuator and it spun fine when hooked directly to a battery supply. Any idea what would make both the blend actuator and the panel actuator not work simultaneously?

Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
J

jfranco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what the control unit is. Can you clarify a bit?

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The digital control unit that you use to change the temperature in the truck. The actual "climate controller".

Make sense?

OP
OP
J

jfranco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ah, yes. Thats what i refered to as the "fan switches" (that's what autozone lists the part as, anyway), and I already tried replacing it. The new one made no difference to the old one.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you disconnected the battery changing out those parts, you may have to recalibrate the actuators. There is a write up somewhere about that but I'm having a senior moment and can't remember the title.

OP
OP
J

jfranco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Now that you mention it, the battery did die at some point during the install process. I know exactly the post you're talking about and will search for it and give it a whirl tonight. Thanks.

OP
OP
J

jfranco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tried every combination, and every sequence of key on/ignition on/fuse pulling i could find and nothing made a difference. I'm getting voltage to the blend actuator, but the actuator motor isn't moving at all. I have no idea what the voltages are supposed to be, but I was getting differing voltages depending on which wires I hit with the voltmeter. None of the voltages changed when the knobs were turned either.

I went and bought a new blend actuator from Advance Auto and the same issue is still there. Theres zero movement from the blend actuator. I'm completely at a loss for what to do next.

So just to recap the issues:

Blend actuator is not functioning at all
A/C or heat, depending on how I manually spin the blend door itself, is blowing out of the panel
Heat is blowing from passenger side on the floor, regardless of blend door position
Can't adjust heat/ac with the knobs
Can't adjust panel/footer/defroster with the knobs.

Replaced the entire control switch/knob unit. No change
Replaced the blend actuator. No change
Replaced the control module.

HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HIGHHOPES