Ignition Coils (Accel/MSD/Granatelli Aftermarket Upgrades?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atomemphis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been looking at slowly, component-by-component upgrading my aging Tahoe.

I've done plugs and wires as part of regular maintenance and thought that I might look into replacing the ignition coils since the truck has high mileage, and thought about grabbing some aftermarket upgrades. This thought was prompted by a similar, very common upgrade on a bike I own, and the result is more than noticeable on the bike.

So I ordered up a set of the Accel SuperCoils that were supposed to be correct for my '01 Tahoe LS (5.3L). They physically bolted right up, and had all plugs in the same position, so installation was a breeze. Fired up the truck and all 8 cylinders gave a misfire code. WTF. Put the OEM coils back in, and everything worked like normal again. Let another guy try them in his truck, he had the same issue. Apparently Accel sold me 8 bad coils.

At that point I decided to opt for sending them back and writing it off for awhile, rather than chancing it with a replacement set and risk going through busted knuckles a second time for more prestolite nonsense.

Anybody use either the MSD or Granatelli (or Accel) coils with any success? Worthwhile in the end or no?

OP
OP
A

atomemphis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thats kinda what I figured, but after 250k I thought replacing components here and there might not be so bad, and if an upgrade was available, I might try it out instead. But after the Accel products being useless, it was something I thought I might ask for others experience about.

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
Stock coil packs support 700+ hp. Don't waste your money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus