I'm starting to think my dealer is not telling me the truth.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

callmebob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ordered a Tahoe RST on December 20th with the Luxury Package, Panoramic Roof, Rear Bucket Seats and the Max Trailer Package. I was told that there was one in front of me for their Allocation and that I should see some movement in January. I went with this dealership because they were the only one in my area that would do MSRP instead of at $5,000+ "Adjustment Fee".

Monday was six weeks from when I ordered, so I called the Salesmen and asked about the status. He said that they have not had any Allocation in the past six weeks and that they were hoping to get some more in mid February. I said that was hard to believe since I've been calling dealerships up and down the east coast trying to find one that hasn't been reserved and they all say they are getting, on average, one to two Tahoes per week in their allocations. I then asked if they were jumping orders ahead of mine since I'm at MSRP and they could be getting Adjustments from other customers, or at the very least filling their lot. He then went on to say that they are a smaller dealership and that they really haven't received any allocation since I've ordered and that they would never jump someone ahead of someone else in line.

Anyone think I'm getting taken for a ride here? Does it sound plausible that they would not receive any allocation in nearly two months? The small dealership is BS as well. While they might not be the biggest Chevy Dealership in the area, they are part of a Dealership Group that includes more than 20, of every manufacturer, across two states.

undy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allocations from GM come out to dealerships only once a month. Most individuals don't know about or understand GM's allocation process. Having been a veteran of the C8 Corvette ordering process one becomes intimately knowledgeable about the allocation process. Having said that, always ask your dealership in advance how many allocations they typically receive a month and how many people are in front of you. Your dealership may or may not be blowing smoke up your Keister.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They very well could be telling the truth. How GM hands out allocations depends on a number of factors like how many GM vehicles of that type do they usually sell at that site, how many GM vehicles total overall customer satisfaction, floor plan finance limits, etc.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealership allocations change. Further the constraints change weekly. I have 2 premiers on order. When I ordered I had many options. some of those options have come under constraint for example max towing. lack of max towing would hold up my order, even if I was the first order in the country. Unless I was wiling to drop the option. I believe sun roofs are under constraint now.
Floor liners are under constraint

selectsplat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if they get an allocation, if something you’ve ordered is on constraint (and it is, as others have pointed out) your order almost certainly cannot be accepted.

Allocations came out last week, so in 3 weeks ask again if they received any allocations, and if so can you rework your order to avoid constraints and get your order accepted. Once it’s accepted, you probably have about 3 weeks to TPD and 3 weeks to delivery, if you are lucky.

Buffalown

Reaction score
I was told by my dealer they would have an update in mid February. This is a pretty large dealer and to be completely honest I feel like I get way more useful information off these forums than I do from them.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far the information I received from my dealer is confirmed by what I’ve seen here including the screen shots

Z15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The allocation number will tell all Chevrolet dealers exactly how many trucks/suvs GM will build for them over next few months. Unfortunately, this does not constrain the dealership from pre-selling more than the earned allocation, as GM does not manage this process in any way. In other words, a dealer (knowing they only have two Denali’s arriving within the next six months) can pre-sell 20 and simply tell the customer that the order has been put in. For the 18 customers who are at the bottom of the list, they are at the mercy of whatever story the dealer tells them regarding the production of the vehicle. Dealers are under no obligation to disclose how many of their earned allocations are spoken for when making pre-order sales. As such, many dealers don’t disclose this information to the customer because if they did, you would probably walk right out the door.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The allocation number will tell all Chevrolet dealers exactly how many trucks/suvs GM will build for them over next few months. Unfortunately, this does not constrain the dealership from pre-selling more than the earned allocation, as GM does not manage this process in any way. In other words, a dealer (knowing they only have two Denali’s arriving within the next six months) can pre-sell 20 and simply tell the customer that the order has been put in. For the 18 customers who are at the bottom of the list, they are at the mercy of whatever story the dealer tells them regarding the production of the vehicle. Dealers are under no obligation to disclose how many of their earned allocations are spoken for when making pre-order sales. As such, many dealers don’t disclose this information to the customer because if they did, you would probably walk right out the door.

been emailing dealers about Tahoes - have had several dealers, after telling me the in transit one is sold, that they could order me one. Most don't even respond when I ask if they have any Z71 tahoe allocations.

Z15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still waiting for a truck I order 10-15-2020. After 2 months of dealer run around I went looking and found the truck I wanted and purchased it. To this day, I have never heard anything back from the dealer/salesman and the bs he fed me would fill the truck box. Salesman motto.

“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS.”​

― W.C. Fields

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21DenaliXL