Immobilizer? Bypass? How safe are these ignitions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
05 Tahoe

I'm curious how theft resistant these things are. I.e. can someone break the tabs on the ignition and start it with a screwdriver? Break the wheel lock, connect power, and not wire it? Etc
not from what I have seen, usually they just give up after destroying it, but if they want it bad enough.......
generally on a 20 year old vehicle the risk is fairly low they will even try unless it's some tweaker or kids
a basic alarm system goes a long way in prevention, there is easier prey out there like KIA's

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
05 Tahoe

I'm curious how theft resistant these things are. I.e. can someone break the tabs on the ignition and start it with a screwdriver? Break the wheel lock, connect power, and not wire it? Etc
The Passlock system will not keep someone from popping the ignition or steering wheel lock but once they do that within 10secs of them starting the vehicle, Passlock will kill fuel supply to the engine then it dies. Passlock sensor in the igntion lock cylinder is just looking for the metal key that is inserted correctly. When the key is deteced the sensor sends a signal to the BCM and if the signal is correct then the BCM gives the PCM the ok to not initiate fuel supply shutdown. Passlock does NOT prevent the engine from being started, it just prevents the engine from running much longer than 10secs. There is no microchip, transponder or resistive chip on our keys for our generation here. Its a fairly simple system that does not commonly break but it can. Most problems come from corroded ground for the BCM or an ignition switch was replaced and the Passlock relearn was not done.

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People would rather steal a S cat Pack Charger than a 20 year old SUV lol. Just about as easy to steal too

lol i had to edit how I spelled S cat, it found that to be a 4 letter word hahah!!!

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[On my '87 K-5], a cop told me a hose clamp around the column, right next to the ignition, was very helpful: it added too much time to the theft.

joe

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice

So while the thing is far from impossible to steal, it's fiddly and would more be something targeted than standard car prowling, is my understanding is correct?
tint the windows that you can legally, get a cheap basic alarm installed, keep shiny things out of sight.
if you are concerned more than that install a secret cut-off switch

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
tint the windows that you can legally, get a cheap basic alarm installed, keep shiny things out of sight.
if you are concerned more than that install a secret cut-off switch
Yeah I don't keep anything of any value in my car

I have like.... A dog leash, phone charger, jumper cables, and a couple blankets

Hell I don't even lock my car. The damage due to forced entry would exceed anything of value that would be taken.

Didn't stop some dingus from goobering up my lock though. Just rifled through things and left empty handed. Though it just occurred to me what the likelihood of someone running off with the whole car is.

At this point I'm more insulted than anything. Unlocked doors, still kills my driver's door lock cylinder. Like wtf

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't keep anything of any value in my car

I have like.... A dog leash, phone charger, jumper cables, and a couple blankets

Hell I don't even lock my car. The damage due to forced entry would exceed anything of value that would be taken.

Didn't stop some dingus from goobering up my lock though. Just rifled through things and left empty handed. Though it just occurred to me what the likelihood of someone running off with the whole car is.

At this point I'm more insulted than anything. Unlocked doors, still kills my driver's door lock cylinder. Like wtf
probably the same person that had they seen a blinking led in there they likely would have moved on and ruined someone else's ride

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate