Improve Gas mileage question....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe03mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most of our trucks from 99-04 don't have electronic fans.... they have a different fluid style clutch fan

yukon07Artic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your post is pretty funny to me.

First you go out and buy a big old Clydesdale and then you complain about the feed bill.

I have talked to several 5.3 / 6.0L engine guys and their opinions are all the same. GM - in a move to squeeze as many hp out of the engine as possible, already has done what could be done to improve gas mileage.

There is two upgrade mod kits that can be done for a huge amount of money that can improve gas mileage. One is to take out the gasoline motor and put in a diesel. Most people who has done it claims that they can get about 20 miles to the gallon with the diesel engine. But you are going to spend $6000 - $12,000 depending on how much of the work you do yourself and how much you can buy used.
The second upgrade involves putting a super charger on the motor and using a set of blower pistons and rods and a camshaft upgrade. Those people claim to get 16 - 19 miles per a gallon with their upgrade.
Again, you are going to spend upwards of $6000 to install a good blower and all the hardware associated with it.

About the only cheap solution would be to get rid of as much weight inside of the vehicle and only ride around with a drivers seat and nothing else inside of the vehicle and go to a lighter set of wheels. When you reduce the amount of weight you are hauling around and you reduced the amount of rolling resistance - you will improve gas mileage. Those cold air kits and computer upgrades and cat back exhausts will only encourage you to step harder on the gas pedal and will not improve your gas mileage.
The end result is - you can't get something for nothing.

Rumor has it that the newer models gets one to two miles more per a gallon, so maybe selling what you have or trading up to something newer might be a option for you.

wow... :emotions122:
Since he suggested that you should remove all the seats except drivers, i suggest you lose about 100 pounds. hope you are over 250lbs because people might call you anorexic.

Last edited:

05ukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the computer on my yukon says I get about 16mpg makes me wonder how accurate that thing is:hmm:. The way I see it is you pay more at the pump but is safer & more confortable than having a small car with high mpg. :Hump:

gtbigup01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the computer on my yukon says I get about 16mpg makes me wonder how accurate that thing is:hmm:. The way I see it is you pay more at the pump but is safer & more confortable than having a small car with high mpg. :Hump:

One way to find out is, next time you fill up, manually work it out. Miles driven divided by fuel added and compare your figure to the computer. Mine is dead on or sometimes .2 off. Ok so maybe it's because I always top off to the lip, and the MPG computation isn't done by topping off to the lip of the fuel (whatever its called).

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mpg computations are done by calculating the fuel injected (injector pulsewidth) vs rpm vs speed.

Usually it is off because of wheel/tire changes... not because it is inaccurate itself.

tolucajo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First off :welcome:

An intake or drop in K&N filter may give you a 1 mpg increase or so.

Adding the oem electric fan kit (if its not an 05+) will help slighty

BB custom tune will also help.

Maybe an extra 2-4mpg total if you can keep your foot out of it after the mods :naughty:

just bought a 14 tahoe, what is s BB custom tune?

shakedown067

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm working on this with my 00 suburban, but going for more of range vs MPG so I'm not worried about cost of mods vs cost of fuel (drive at night as long as possible while the kids sleep for family road trips). It's also an easy motor to work on, so I'm having fun too.

Here's what I've done and what it's done to MPG. Truck has 250,000 miles, was running13 city/16.5 hwy:
CAI, all synthetic fluids, 241 heads (should have milled them down), long-tube headers, high-flow cats, higher tire pressures, removed roof rack, made custom bumper valance hole covers, 04 tahoe air deflector, new plugs, plug wires, and just recently a camaro e-fan.

So now I'm at 14.5-15 city/17-18 interstate (use an app to track mileage). I've pushed 19 at lower 55-60 highway speeds and i've seen as high as 25mpg, while not coasting, via my instant MPG OBDII port app. Wind greatly effects this big pig on the interstate and have fought it my last two trips in one direction. Only have 15 miles since the e-fan to see if it did anything but I got it dirt cheap and the lack of noise (which I think the clutch was going out), has been a nice improvement. With that, it sure is a blast to drive. After I get the exhaust done, I'll get it tuned to see if there is any real improvement within all these combined goodies.

Cobaltdairy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Volant CAI gained me 1 or 2 mpg and some power, worth it to me

I got my 03 yukon not a xl or suburban length and it got 15.4mpg when I got it 2 tanks later it got 12. 4 Coils tested bad or week Plugs were red and melted tips down and ngk r plugs the guy said he put in but ya don't trust used vehicles much anyway . So it missed and run ruff and I decided to try what I've done to other vehicles that has proven to work but I had to test different plug gaps, I tow , play around race it, daily driver grocery getter. But here is what I have done so far maybe it'll help some one or get input to help me . All mods have 1 month of testing and so far so good but a dyno tune will get all I can out but I'm waiting to more parts on for . So parts on now are
Xyz tuning 4" intake system
Maf screen cut out
Ls6 coils I had
Ngk v-power plugs ( 0.44 gap )
10.4mm wires
Tb coolest bypass
Ported the Tb
Smoothed intake manifold and head runners
Cleaned every vent or module top to bottom
True dual exhaust to super 40s dumped before axle with 2.5" pipe cats back
New low drag wheel bearings front and back
Has 285/75 6 ply bald tires on it now that rim and tire weight is from 56 to 58lbs each by weighing all 4 individual

Getting 19.3mpg highway on a 50mile test run on the 4 lane and just everything from small town to hwy and home driving I'm at 17.4mpg. So I think that's pretty good but shooting for more after dyno tune.

Parts that I'm waiting for to arrive are
Cam kit, .625 duration springs ect.
1.7 roller rockers
42lb injectors
Trick flow heads
Hooked shorty headers
2500 stall
Trans break
Msd intake manifold
Electric fan conversation
2" wheel spacers
New tires
Wheels
Borla stinger mufflers
X pipe
Should be in and onto tune early october
Then the body shop uhhhh!

Compression is 5-11lbs under factory which is reallt good if it has the 180k on the 5.3 in it so just putting on what I can swap to a 6.2 later haha engine runs and drives smooth as can be and raps amazing so far hope this helps or any sudjections to squeeze a little more mpg out . For this 5.3 I'm hoping long shot for 21 mpg hwy and 350-360whp ish. If I forgot something you want to know on let me know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmds3