Installed - Gmx550 Lockpick In 2008 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

infamous

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just thought I would share my experience with the install of the GMX 550 Lockpick into a 2008 Tahoe with NAV and DVD. I would have to say that the installation was fairly simple. The connections are definitely keyed to ensure nothing is plugged into the wrong location.

The OEM has additional connections in the back but you simply leave them alone and plug in the three that comes with the lockpick harness. I will have to say that the video from coastaletech regarding the installation that I found was a little misleading. From the video it appears that the lockpick can simple be installed and fit right behind the OEM radio. I found that to be impossible because the 550 lockpick is simple to big to be installed there (in my humble opinion).

I installed the lockpick underneath the cupholder in the truck. The cupholder came out pretty easily. It has the same type of connections as the material around the factory radio. I was able to run the wires for the lockpick down the left side behind the radio and towards the cupholder. It will be a tight fit because the wires and "just" long enough. Also, I ran the USB and IPOD cable down the same path but popped them out the bottom of the center console by the drivers side. I will probably do more with the IPOD and USB cables later but that's what I've done for now.

Of course, I tested before putting everything back together but it worked instantly. I was going to attempt to install a Parrot bluetooth kit with the system but I have been reading threads where you can use the 09 Escalade Bluetooth/Onstar module to get bluetooth in the 2008 Tahoe. I will let you know how that goes.

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the install info. Yes, you can use the 09+ Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Bluetooth module in your vehicle, but be warned that you will lose OnStar functionality. If you don't subscribe to OnStar, it isn't a big issue. However, if you do, you may want to consider an alternative route.

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, this will be one of the first mods I do (after the SLP resonator delete).

So what exactly does it do (and not do). I want to be able to hook up my iphone to play music and charge it. Does this allow you to control the iphone completely or just allow you to play installed music? I'm hoping to get Pandora function too.

I have an '07 LT3 with NAV (no DVD)

atalakoub

Reaction score
I installed the GMX550 in my 07 a few weeks ago. I also found it a pain, but i did manage to get everything behind the nav. However, it was so tight i am worried about damage to the wires over time and plan to move it under the cupholder. What parrot system did you get? I was looking into putting in bluetooth also.

Other than the Nav in motion, DVD in motion it gives full audio and video output from your ipod/iphone. Also allows the addition of more cameras.

OP
OP
I

infamous

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bluetooth for GMX550 Lockpic

I was told by coastaletech to purchase the Parrot CK3100 bluetooth system to install with the GMX550. I haven't done the install and will be going with the changing out the VCIM solution to get bluetooth. I'm going to return the Parrot kit.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Do you know how to program the VCIM or whether the dealership will do it without a hassle?

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
The dealership won't be able to successfully program your new VCIM to match your VIN, because the new VCIM has newer software that isn't compatible with your VIN. So you may as well just install it and not even go by the dealer as it will waste time and money.

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how about steering wheel controls of the iphone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rongomer