Installed - Gmx550 Lockpick In 2008 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atalakoub

Reaction score
while parked? Are you saying it cannot be used while driving, or just protecting yourself legally, lol.

I am more concerned with streaming netflix movies from my phone and them displaying on the rear overhead TV for the kids to watch. (we have the entire package from Chevy)

I believe there is a AUX video in for the RSE. I am not positive though since i don't have it. If this is the case can you just use a iphone video cable like this:

http://www.meritline.com/scosche-sneakpeek-audio-video-cable-ipad---p-51741.aspx

I carry an HD Iphone video cable cause i travel so much for work, its nice in hotel rooms.

Since I don't have RSE, its not an option for me.

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ I don't have a video cable for my Ipod but if it sends out a regular analog video signal then you can just connect it to the AUX jacks in the RSE.

The GMX550 does have another set of RCA video/audio in jacks.

atalakoub

Reaction score
^ I don't have a video cable for my Ipod but if it sends out a regular analog video signal then you can just connect it to the AUX jacks in the RSE.

The GMX550 does have another set of RCA video/audio in jacks.

It is just a standard analog signal and works for videos on the iphone as well as Netflix streaming.

HUNT4WHEELS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I too have installed the lockpick and it seems very clumsy. The wire Harness was big, it did not play well with my bluetooth parrot and when I let my wife change the route on the move it took forever to snap out of being lost.

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have installed the lockpick and it seems very clumsy. The wire Harness was big, it did not play well with my bluetooth parrot and when I let my wife change the route on the move it took forever to snap out of being lost.

Did you disable NAV in motion after entering the address? Just curious if this helps.
See this post in a different thread:
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=320115&postcount=6

The tahoe is my wife's daily driver so I haven't had a chance to mess with the NAV again. But even before installing the Lockpick, I found the GM NAV to be suboptimal (I still only have 3.0c).

The GMX550 version is quite big. How do others fit it below the cupholder area? Any pics?

Last edited:

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe there is a AUX video in for the RSE. I am not positive though since i don't have it. If this is the case can you just use a iphone video cable like this:

http://www.meritline.com/scosche-sneakpeek-audio-video-cable-ipad---p-51741.aspx

I carry an HD Iphone video cable cause i travel so much for work, its nice in hotel rooms.

Since I don't have RSE, its not an option for me.

Bought it, thanks. Much appreciated. :Handshake:

This will make things a tad easier when we stay at hotels too with the kids.

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so I finally got it installed today. Seems to work darn good right out of the box. As expected it took some work getting the cables and unit to fit but it wasn't mind altering.

At first I was confused because I couldn't get video out from my iphone working, but then I turned the Tahoe on to check that I has wired up the reverse camera for full time operation (I did) and then I figured out video out was now working. Then as soon as I turned her off the video out stopped. WTF? Doesn't it seem backwards that you can only watch a movie while the car is on and able to be in motion? Am I doing something wrong?

Also, is there a iphone cable/stand out there? I've always found the iphone cable extremely clumsy because it is big and comes out the bottom of the phone so you can't stand it upright. Now trying to get the phone to stand up in a car is impossible and I think if it had a stand I would be happier with the install.

R_Sharpe

VIP
Reaction score
Also, is there a iphone cable/stand out there? I've always found the iphone cable extremely clumsy because it is big and comes out the bottom of the phone so you can't stand it upright. Now trying to get the phone to stand up in a car is impossible and I think if it had a stand I would be happier with the install.

I have a Pro.Fit.Intl VSM Legend Mount, which isn't a stand, but it's a mount. It mounts behind your radio bezel. Pictured below. I can give more details if you want them.

5838002349_7ff3c7f27d.jpg

ckl5899

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st, when installing this device, I had the same problem all of ya'all are having. The LP is just to big to STUFF behind the radio. I routed my wires through the upper passenger side of the radio cubbie. I then placed my LP right by the factory XM unit behind the glove box. Easy to access when adding and updating the unit.

Next, video out on Apple products. There is a apple video cable that comes with the LP unit. This works for transmitting audio/video and all sorts of other features. To get the video to display on your screen, the best way is to "hack" your apple product and install a program called video out. This will display EVERYTHING on your Apple device. Now im not telling you to do this, this is just something "a friend of mine" did. When "he" connected his Ipad it shows whatever is on his Ipad.

I hope this helps answer some questions about the LP. If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me.

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Pro.Fit.Intl VSM Legend Mount, which isn't a stand, but it's a mount. It mounts behind your radio bezel. Pictured below. I can give more details if you want them.

That would certainly do the job, but my guess is that you can't even touch the iphone without leaning way over right? It is a chore to get to the far right buttons on the radio let alone the outside of the bezel.

I was looking for a stand or mount I could position in the large bin at the front of the center console.

Oh and if you route the cables to the LP under the lowest part of the plastic bezel behind the climate control / 12v outlets you can push the LP under that same part of the dash and everything JUST fits.

Last edited: